[SOLVED] Used UPS + new battery

Nov 24, 2021
Hi,
During this winter I just had a 3rd power outage. Thought it was a good time to buy a UPS, I need it for CCTV + home network (routers, switches). All of these devices consume about 25W in total, not really that much.
What do you think about buying an used UPS plus a new battery?
I was thinking about something like:
  • UPS APC Back-UPS CS 500 - used one, without battery for $20 with warranty for a few months.
  • new battery: Alarmtec BP 7-12 (12 V, 7 Ah, 2,05 Kg) I can get it for $15.
I don't really need much but it would be nice to have some backup (extra power for at least a few minutes).

nEfmJw8.png

NUiykq1.png

Solution
For investing only $35, give it a shot.
I like the APC units.

You get some sort of warranty on the ups.
My concern might be with the battery that does not come from APC.
But if you have any sort of return capability, give it a try.

Ralston18

Titan
A UPS of that size is only suited to providing (as you said) a few minutes of grace time to shutdown the supported systems.

I only connect PC's and monitors to my UPS. No point in connecting much else as the internet is likely down anyway.

Who knows what a used UPS has been through. May even hasten the demise of a new battery.

All the more so if the battery is some third party generic.....

My recommendation is to buy a new UPS with warranty.

And, if there is a requirement to power other devices that is okay. Just use the manufacturer's calculators to properly size the UPS.

Do be aware that the calculators are likely to favor higher end (AKA more expensive) UPSs. Not good for the budget.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
I've always wanted to buy a used UPS and connect it to a car battery (fused line). Should work in theory, 12V Lead Acid but with a higher capacity. I seem to always have one or two batteries kicking around. I suspect it would give you a little more grace time.

My .02c

For investing only $35, give it a shot.
I like the APC units.

You get some sort of warranty on the ups.
My concern might be with the battery that does not come from APC.
But if you have any sort of return capability, give it a try.

Solution