Question Used wrong power brick on monitor

buubot

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
Made the mistake of plugging in a 19v power adapter into a 12v monitor. Now the monitor does a power cycle and never fully turns on. My question is how i might go about fixing the issue.

I took a picture of the board - View: https://imgur.com/a/6zLHJYV

The monitor is a 'chinese' brand - Prism. model m27eq. I have another identical monitor that works fine. When I plug in the monitor, the standby light turns blue(on) for about 2 seconds, switches to red(standby) for about 1 second, and then completely off. The status led on the external power brick also turns off when the monitor does which leads me to believe maybe there is a bad capacitor? I've tested the power brick with my working monitor and there is no issue.

None of the capacitors visually look blown/puffing and i wasn't able to find a fuse on the drive board so I'm at a loss of where to begin. Does the power cycling of the monitor and power brick led's indicate a bad capacitor or what would you think? All of the videos I see online about repairing LCD monitors show replacing caps on the power board but mine doesn't have a separate power board. The display, housing, and stand are in great condition so I'd love to get this baby back up and running if possible.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mod Edit - Language

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems to me like one of the IC's have gone bubye, might want to use a multimeter to check for said inflicted IC on the mainboard. You'd need to start from the power input side of the mainboard and work your way through to each component until you've both ends of the board and both sides. You could use FLIR to identify if a component is heating up and in essence receiving power but it seems like you don't have the gear that repair shops will have.

buubot

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Seems to me like one of the IC's have gone bubye, might want to use a multimeter to check for said inflicted IC on the mainboard. You'd need to start from the power input side of the mainboard and work your way through to each component until you've both ends of the board and both sides. You could use FLIR to identify if a component is heating up and in essence receiving power but it seems like you don't have the gear that repair shops will have.

Thank you for the reply! Okay that's something to start with. I didn't think to use my ir gun to identify the problem chip. I was so focused on finding a fuse but I guess if a fuse was blown it would probably not even power on. I appreciate your ideas!