User Account gone, only Administrator account shows, says "Your account has been disabled. Please see your system admin.."

strickendead

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So what I'm being told happened was my Sister left her Windows 8 laptop with her 4 year old, came back and she's entirely locked out of her computer.

When I start the computer normally, the only available log-in is an Administrator account, from what I understand is a built-in Admin. account, and when I go to log-in with it, it tells me "Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator."

Now, I've tried going into Safe Mode and it allows me in, but when I go to Control Panel > Admin. Tools > Computer Management, there is no Local Users and Groups section.

Since that did me no good, I figured I'd try to do a System Restore, but when I click on Recovery it tells me "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restore point open 'system protection'". I click on system protection, but it tells me "System Protection is available only in online operating system".

I'm just completely stuck. Can anyone figure this out?

Solution
if you cant create one through control panel in safe mode

go back into safe mode.
(here is an example of how to create an account through cmd)

open up cmd (start, run, cmd.exe)

then type

net user /add bernie

This creates the user account.

net localgroup administrators bernie /add

this changes the account from a standard user to an admin

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
if you cant create one through control panel in safe mode

go back into safe mode.
(here is an example of how to create an account through cmd)

open up cmd (start, run, cmd.exe)

then type

net user /add bernie

This creates the user account.

net localgroup administrators bernie /add

this changes the account from a standard user to an admin

Solution

strickendead

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Alright, this allowed me to create a new Admin. account, but is my sister's original User just gone? I'm not sure if maybe it was hidden, or what.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

it was probably deleted, best to put a password on main account and log out/lock if people like the child are near it incase this kind of thing happens

you can backup your profiles and it might still be there but is unlikely