In recently restoring my crashed machine, I noticed that when the machine was
idle, it would go back to the user login screen. I found this tedious as I
just wanted it to go to screen saver but stay within the user session. I ran
'control userpasswords2' and de-clicked 'Users must enter a user name and
password to use this computer.' (It's a home computer so not worried). Now
when I reboot, it brings up a Windows login for Administrator and says,
"Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." I can bypass that
and log in as Owner or anybody else so it's more cosmetic than anything else.

Question - who is this "Administrator?" The account doesn't show up under
User Accounts. 'Owner' is the Administrator. Do I care about this account
(which appears to be hidden? Should I allow it to log in under the covers? If
so, do I have to re-click 'Users must enter a user name and password, etc."
Please advise.

jpas1954 wrote:
> In recently restoring my crashed machine, I noticed that
> when the machine was idle, it would go back to the user
> login screen. I found this tedious as I just wanted it to go
> to screen saver but stay within the user session. I ran
> 'control userpasswords2' and de-clicked 'Users must enter a
> user name and password to use this computer.' (It's a home
> computer so not worried). Now when I reboot, it brings up a
> Windows login for Administrator and says, "Unable to log you
> on because of an account restriction." I can bypass that and
> log in as Owner or anybody else so it's more cosmetic than
> anything else.
>
> Question - who is this "Administrator?" The account doesn't
> show up under User Accounts. 'Owner' is the Administrator.
> Do I care about this account (which appears to be hidden?
> Should I allow it to log in under the covers? If so, do I
> have to re-click 'Users must enter a user name and password,
> etc." Please advise.

There is a big difference between the Administrator account and
an account that is a member of the "Administrators group".
Every Windows XP system has a built-in account named
Administrator. Once another account that is a "Computer
Administrator" is created , such as your Owner account, the
built-in Administrator account becomes hidden. The
Administrator account comes in handy when you can't logon with
your regular account. It should only be used in emergencies.

Now, back to your problem.
Put the check mark back in the box next to "Users must enter a
password...".
Next, remove the check mark and hit the Apply button.
In the box that pops up enter Owner in the User Name line and
your password.
Note: You can leave the password lines blank if your account
doesn't have a password.
Click OK twice.
Reboot and see if you're automatically logged in with the Owner
account.

As for the screen saver issue, go to Start -> Control Panel ->
Display.
Click on the Screen Saver tab.
Remove the check mark next to "On resume, password protect".
On that same page, click the Power button.
In Power Options, click on the Advanced page.
Make sure there's no check mark next to "Prompt for password
when computer resumes from standby".

Nepatsfan

Ok, that worked. Thanks

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> jpas1954 wrote:
> > In recently restoring my crashed machine, I noticed that
> > when the machine was idle, it would go back to the user
> > login screen. I found this tedious as I just wanted it to go
> > to screen saver but stay within the user session. I ran
> > 'control userpasswords2' and de-clicked 'Users must enter a
> > user name and password to use this computer.' (It's a home
> > computer so not worried). Now when I reboot, it brings up a
> > Windows login for Administrator and says, "Unable to log you
> > on because of an account restriction." I can bypass that and
> > log in as Owner or anybody else so it's more cosmetic than
> > anything else.
> >
> > Question - who is this "Administrator?" The account doesn't
> > show up under User Accounts. 'Owner' is the Administrator.
> > Do I care about this account (which appears to be hidden?
> > Should I allow it to log in under the covers? If so, do I
> > have to re-click 'Users must enter a user name and password,
> > etc." Please advise.
>
> There is a big difference between the Administrator account and
> an account that is a member of the "Administrators group".
> Every Windows XP system has a built-in account named
> Administrator. Once another account that is a "Computer
> Administrator" is created , such as your Owner account, the
> built-in Administrator account becomes hidden. The
> Administrator account comes in handy when you can't logon with
> your regular account. It should only be used in emergencies.
>
> Now, back to your problem.
> Put the check mark back in the box next to "Users must enter a
> password...".
> Next, remove the check mark and hit the Apply button.
> In the box that pops up enter Owner in the User Name line and
> your password.
> Note: You can leave the password lines blank if your account
> doesn't have a password.
> Click OK twice.
> Reboot and see if you're automatically logged in with the Owner
> account.
>
> As for the screen saver issue, go to Start -> Control Panel ->
> Display.
> Click on the Screen Saver tab.
> Remove the check mark next to "On resume, password protect".
> On that same page, click the Power button.
> In Power Options, click on the Advanced page.
> Make sure there's no check mark next to "Prompt for password
> when computer resumes from standby".
>
> Nepatsfan

Hi, my little sister turned my administrators account to a normal users
account and now no one is the administrator. I have tryed everything to
change my account back but the is no account with the privillages to do
so. Is there anything i can do. Ant help would be appreciated. thank u.
:)

--
woodywoodpecker

woodywoodpecker wrote:
> Hi, my little sister turned my administrators account to a normal
> users account and now no one is the administrator. I have tryed
> everything to change my account back but the is no account with the
> privillages to do so. Is there anything i can do. Ant help would be
> appreciated. thank u. :)

Home or Pro?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

woodywoodpecker wrote:
> Hi, my little sister turned my administrators account to a normal users
> account and now no one is the administrator. I have tryed everything to
> change my account back but the is no account with the privillages to do
> so. Is there anything i can do. Ant help would be appreciated. thank u.
> :)

Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account(s). By design, the
only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

--
woodywoodpecker

Bruce Chambers Wrote:
> woodywoodpecker wrote:-
> Hi, my little sister turned my administrators account to a normal
> users
> account and now no one is the administrator. I have tryed everything
> change my account back but the is no account with the privillages to
> do
> so. Is there anything i can do. Ant help would be appreciated. thank
> u.
> :)
>
> -
>

> Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
> cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account(s). By design, the
> only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
> reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
> the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.
>
> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://tinyurl.com/6rrv
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having
> both at once. - RAH

ok, that seems to have dome the trick thanx very mutch for u help guys.
:)

--
woodywoodpecker