User Input to Monitor

daawaa

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Hi all,

I am doing a project for college and I was looking for some advice or a discussion as to how to go about it.

Basically we have an art exhibition coming up and I wanted to be a bit different and wanted to create a digital portfolio people can swipe through rather than flip through the pages of a physical book.

I am aware of the Leap Motion device as well as the kinectfor this level of interactivity but I was looking for some suggestion as to how I can go about keeping my exhibit as small and tight as possible. Ideally I would love to have just the monitor with the leap device and even construct a sleek wooden plinth to keep it all together.

I suppose what I really want to know is whether it is at all possible to just have a monitor and leap combo without the need for a pc/mac?

Are there any reasonably priced 'interactive' monitors out there that has usb connectivity for content and can allow a user to 'swipe' thourgh pictures, even if it means physically touching the screen?

I'd love to hear what people think. My main priority for this exhibit is reasonably cheap and cheerful and with no NASA style bells and whistles.

Thank you,

D

USAFRet

Titan
How much are you looking to spend on this?

Here is an All In One, apparently controlled by waving at the screen.
$320 at Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220711

"Innovative Gesture Control
Hands-Free Entertainment

Imagine controlling multimedia players or browsing the Internet from up to five meters away from your computer. The ET2031 series makes it all possible with Advanced Hand-Gesture Recognition Software (HGRS) that uses the built-in camera to accurately interpret movements. Play songs or videos, adjust player settings, or zoom and rotate photos — all from a distance, without ever touching a screen, keyboard or mouse. "

daawaa

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I hadn't thought of an All-in-One PC to be honest, but that does open up possibilities.

I'm in Europe currently and I would be looking to spend up to €200 which is around $256, or possibly a bit more. I have to leave a gap for materials/building the plinth

Thanks for the input!