[SOLVED] 'User Profile could not be found' and missing 'My Documents'

Oct 4, 2019
Hello!

I have a PC with Windows 2000 which I use sometimes while listening to music in the basement on a semi-daily basis. It has always worked well. A couple of weeks ago an error appeared, "entry point could not be found due to missing [...].dll". A common thing apparently across all versions of Windows. I've not used the PC since.

Now I wanted to copy some files to a USB device, however it didn't even get as far as before, this time it told me my user profile had disappeared [also apparently common across all Windows], and it wanted to create a new one for temporary use - which failed as well, and the PC rebooted.
So, I entered safe mode, which appeared to load as it should, there were no error messages. However, 'My Documents" has disappeared. Could this have been deleted along with the user profile?

I did a search for a couple of files with no result. Other folders seem to be intact, and the HDD usage seems what it should as well. Or can I simply not see them due to not having logged on "as myself"? Although I would then expect to at least find the files through a search.
Might I have to visit a data recovery firm now? :-(

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Solution
Windows 2000 was the first Windows with a System File Checker. It may be possible to fix this problem by going to a command (cmd) prompt and typing sfc scannow and let the program do it's work.