[SOLVED] User Profile Service Failed

Nov 3, 2019
I am currently experiencing a very, very odd experience with Win10. Currently I am using Chrome by running it through the Command Prompt, which is running off the sign in page. This is because whenever I try to logon to a user, Windows says "The user profile service failed the sign-in, User profile cannot be loaded." I was fortunately able to get Windows to run the Command Prompt instead of the on-screen keyboard, so I can access pretty much everything from the sign-on page without actually signing on. I can edit the registries, execute programs, even get the task bar to show, but I can't actually log in. Services.msc says the User Profile Service is running. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

This is because you are using a temporary Windows user profile, not a real one. The simplest way to work around such an issue is to create a new profile and pull all the data from your old profile into the one you just created. In most cases, all your personal data will still be there, Windows has just lost some of the values it needs to load the profile properly. Not an extremely common issue, but not to hard to fix. However, if it happens again, you might consider a scan on your hard drive to make sure it isn't corrupting data.

Nov 3, 2019
This is because you are using a temporary Windows user profile, not a real one. The simplest way to work around such an issue is to create a new profile and pull all the data from your old profile into the one you just created. In most cases, all your personal data will still be there, Windows has just lost some of the values it needs to load the profile properly. Not an extremely common issue, but not to hard to fix. However, if it happens again, you might consider a scan on your hard drive to make sure it isn't corrupting data.
I have two accounts, and Admin and a Guest. I can't sign in to the guest account, and the option to select the Admin in the bottom right is missing also. I created another admin account just in case, but I also cannot select it to sign in. I'm assuming there is no way to sign in via the command prompt.

Nov 3, 2019
Update: Used netplwiz to force Windows to automatically login to the Admin account on restart, so I'm in now. However, I still can't switch accounts using the start menu or by signing out/locking.

When you go in to the temp account and look under C:\Users, is your account data in tact?
Also, when you created the new account, did you give it a unique name?

A few things to do here:
  1. From an elevated command prompt type: sfc/ scan now
  2. Tell Windows defender (or your current AV) to run a full scan.
  3. Look at the brand name for your hard drive in device manager. Google a drive scanner for that brand (almost all of them have one).

Nov 3, 2019
When you go in to the temp account and look under C:\Users, is your account data in tact?
Also, when you created the new account, did you give it a unique name?

A few things to do here:
  1. From an elevated command prompt type: sfc/ scan now
  2. Tell Windows defender (or your current AV) to run a full scan.
  3. Look at the brand name for your hard drive in device manager. Google a drive scanner for that brand (almost all of them have one).
I'm am in my original Admin account, not the one I just created, which is named TempAdmin. Everything is good in Windows Defender, but SFC found corrupt files and was unable to repair them. I can post the CBS log if necessary. Currently letting SeaTools run test on my boot drive.

Apologies if I didn't make this clear, and maybe you did so and didn't mention it, but the original "Admin" account needs to go "bye bye" becuase it is corrupt. Once you transfer all your files out of it, delete it. You can then make a new account, or continue using the "TempAdmin" as your new account.

Nov 3, 2019
Apologies if I didn't make this clear, and maybe you did so and didn't mention it, but the original "Admin" account needs to go "bye bye" becuase it is corrupt. Once you transfer all your files out of it, delete it. You can then make a new account, or continue using the "TempAdmin" as your new account.
The original Admin account is the one I'm using and is not corrupt. I ran some tests with SeaTools (Seagate drive) and the drive is okay, as well as all the data on the other local accounts, I can access it fine. The main issue I'm facing now is that there are still no tiles to click on the sign-in screen to switch accounts. I created a brand new account and had Windows login to it on automatically on restart, but even the brand new account has the original "User profile service failed" problem.