User profile

KK

Hi all,

The default user profile for Windows 2000 is c:\Documets and
Settings\<username>. How can I change it to other places? For example,
D:\Server01\<username>.

Thanks,
KK

This article may help.

How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"KK" wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| The default user profile for Windows 2000 is c:\Documets and
| Settings\<username>. How can I change it to other places? For example,
| D:\Server01\<username>.
|
| Thanks,
| KK

KK

Thanks for your advice. The acticle works well for an existing profile.

However, can we set something so that every newly create user would not
point to "c:\Documents and Settings" but point to "d:\Server01\<username>"?
I had tried changing the registry value "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory", however, when a new user
login, she would fail with "Profiles cannot be loaded"...

KK

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> This article may help.
>
> How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/
>

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "KK" wrote:
> | Hi all,
> |
> | The default user profile for Windows 2000 is c:\Documets and
> | Settings\<username>. How can I change it to other places? For example,
> | D:\Server01\<username>.
> |
> | Thanks,
> | KK

These may also help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q214636
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214653

You'll need to also copy the file structure to the new location.

--

"KK" wrote:
| Thanks for your advice. The acticle works well for an existing profile.
|
| However, can we set something so that every newly create user would not
| point to "c:\Documents and Settings" but point to
"d:\Server01\<username>"?
| I had tried changing the registry value "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
| NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory", however, when a new user
| login, she would fail with "Profiles cannot be loaded"...
|
| KK

KK

Thanks Patrick,

I had tried the method in the following KB, but got some unexpected result...
The result is I cannot login any more because it said cannot locate the
profile...

But I do something to work around. It seems foolish, but I can't find
something better than that. Here is what I do:

- copy the profile from c:\docume...\<username> to some other place by
logout script
- copy the files from other place back to c:\docume...\<username> by login
script

Am I foolish? haha

Thanks anyway,

KK