ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I have setup 3 profiles on my machine. One is adminstrator, one is for a
teacher and one is for a student. I have installed software on the
administrator profile but i need to access it from the student profile. How
is that done?

Ray,

Some software has to be installed for the user that is going to be using it.
Typically its because the developers when creating the program didn't factor
in user profiles. Here is what you need to do.

1. Login as Admin. and un-install the program.
2. Give the student account admin. rights.
3. Login as the student account and install the program.
4. Remove the admin rights from the student account.
5. Student should be able to access the program fine.

~zero

"Ray" wrote:

> I have setup 3 profiles on my machine. One is adminstrator, one is for a
> teacher and one is for a student. I have installed software on the
> administrator profile but i need to access it from the student profile. How
> is that done?

Malke

AbsoluteZero wrote:

> Ray,
>
> Some software has to be installed for the user that is going to be
> using it. Typically its because the developers when creating the
> program didn't factor in user profiles. Here is what you need to do.
>
> 1. Login as Admin. and un-install the program.
> 2. Give the student account admin. rights.
> 3. Login as the student account and install the program.
> 4. Remove the admin rights from the student account.
> 5. Student should be able to access the program fine.
>
> ~zero
>
> "Ray" wrote:
>
>> I have setup 3 profiles on my machine. One is adminstrator, one is
>> for a teacher and one is for a student. I have installed software on
>> the administrator profile but i need to access it from the student
>> profile. How is that done?

Possibly AbsoluteZero might be right, but the solution might also be as
simple as making shortcuts in the Student Start Menu. As Administrator,
right-click on the Start Button and choose Explore All Users. Make
shortcuts to programs as desired on whatever users' Start Menu as
desired.

A lot depends on what the programs are and you haven't told us that.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

thanks for the responses.

some of the programs include:
* wireless network adaptor
* AVG antivirus
* Microsoft antispyware

my biggest concern is the wireless adaptor. when the machine is initially
booted and the student profile is accessed, the network connection is not
made. If, however, I switch to administrator, ensure the connection is made
and then switch to the student, the connection is still valid.

the same goes for the antispyware software.

I have a problem of having to uninstall in admin profile, and then install
reinstall in the student profile, that takes time when you have 15 machines.

the problem appears when the profile does not have admin privileges. Teacher
and Admin have admin. Student has restricted. There should be something that
allows the administrator to manage what apps the restricted profile can
access.

...ray

btw, I have a collection of machines with win98, win2k and winXP. the same
issue exists on all OSs.