Question Userbenchmark is fine - Huge fps drops in games like CSGO

Oct 26, 2020
Hello, I am posting here because I have tried a multitude of things to try to fix my fps issues. There is a number of things which could have caused it, so i will write down my specs and a backstory and hopefully somebody might have the answer!

CPU: i5-8600k
GPU: RTX-2060
RAM: Corsair 2x8gb ram 3000mhz
Motherboard: z390-h gaming asus
PSU:
EVGA Super NOVA 850W PC Power Supply - Gold

Userbenchmark results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34606737

edit: After second look my CPU results show 49% for 'server', I don't know what this means but perhaps that could be it?

Backstory: So a couple of months ago while playing warzone i wanted to boost my fps to be on par with my friends. To do this i bought a new graphics card (the rtx 2060, replacing a 1060 6b) and paid someone to overclock my CPU. Everything was fine except some odd issues here and there, where i'd need to restart my pc in order for my fps to be normal. After a while my HDD was starting to fail so i bought a new one, around this time i also reset my bios to default settings as I felt as though the overclock was unstable if i had to restart all the time to get desirable fps.

After resetting my bios I had some odd issues where my games were running super low fps, which was fixed by enabling xmp. This is where the issue I have today comes in..my fps is dropping massively in games like csgo from 300-400 fps to 80-130 in gunfights, and as you know in CSGO this is unbearable. CSGO is my safe space with friends, and helps when i'm down, and i'd love to be able to fix it without spending money :(

Things I have done to try to fix it:
-Freshly reinstalled windows
-Reinstalled csgo
-Fiddles with a MULTITUDE of settings in both windows and csgo
-Ensured nvidia settings were correct
-Reinstalled GPU drivers
-Updated bios + audio drivers
-Updated windows 10 fully
-Checked CPU temps (they hover around 46-7 degrees when playing games, 35-37 when idle) my GPU temps are fine. I'll add that in the original post - I have a noctua CPU cooler and some tower fans which somebody helped me install for better airflow, so i'm almost sure temperature isn't an issue.

One thing I haven't tried which somebody from a company which sells gaming PCs suggested is fiddling with PSU settings, as sometimes an bios reset does not reset the PSU settings, so it could be drawing more power than it needs?

Aditionally, my PC fans sometimes go ham for literally a second and then back to normal. Is this normal?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsQPcnbYLD4&t=181s&ab_channel=FixKk
this guy has very similar specs, arguably worse because of the 8gb of ram, and his game runs fine and smooth.

Please please please could someone try to help my address the issue? I am not tech savvy and do not want to fiddle with to many bios settings without guidance and hurt my pc. Thankyou :)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020
Oct 26, 2020
Well that is a pretty good quality unit. How old is it? Have you checked GPU temps?
Yeah, my GPU temps are fine. I'll add that in the original post - I have a noctua CPU cooler and some tower fans which somebody helped me install for better airflow, so i'm almost sure temperature isn't an issue.

The PSU is around 2-3 years old, i can't remember exactly. Could that be the issue? It was my understanding if a PSU was failing it wouldn't behave this way

Oct 26, 2020
Ok then you are fine there. Are you running your game off the SSD, or the HDD? Have you checked your CPU and GPU usage? What resolution are you playing at?
The game is installed on my SSD, my GPU and CPU usage appear normal from my own memory. I’m not at my pc right now but I think my cpu was around 30-40 % and GPU a similar number, then the memory made up for the rest.

Oct 26, 2020
Do you still have your old GPU, just to rule out the possibility the new one is bad?
hey, after doing some testing i've discovered when my fps drops my GPU runs at 93% ish. This is uncommon for CSGO as it's a CPU intensive game; what could be the issue?

edit: also my memory says it's running at 888mb always, is that normal? I'm using msi afterburner to monitor this.