[SOLVED] UserBenchMark question re. CPU turbo result

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32600397
I've just built a new rig to replace a 10 year old i5 and have yet to learn all of the ins and outs of the 'new' uefi bios system beyond xmp-ing my ram and some other small things. Stock machine btw. My question is this, why does my cpu 'turbo' read as 4.65 rather than 4.9? Am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
The 4.9 GHz will be the single core boost, this can only happen in workloads using 1 cpu core. The all core boost is lower at 4.6 and the benchmark will be stressing all cores. Some light overclocking would be pushing all core boost to 4.9GHz assuming you have sufficient cooling.
The 4.9 GHz will be the single core boost, this can only happen in workloads using 1 cpu core. The all core boost is lower at 4.6 and the benchmark will be stressing all cores. Some light overclocking would be pushing all core boost to 4.9GHz assuming you have sufficient cooling.

Reactions: Cuss_ed
Solution

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019

OK good, that makes sense. I'll skip the OC for this one, maybe I'll master that skill with the old i5 if I can resurrect it. Thanks for your help.

Userbenchmark in my experience has been unreliable as an indicator of system performance. I would recommend you use benchmarks like Cinebench15/20 and 3DMark to evaluate your system against other similar machines.

As sizzling indicated above, regarding clock speed, there's a difference between single and all core boosts.

Reactions: kurdtnz
My question is this, why does my cpu 'turbo' read as 4.65 rather than 4.9? Am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated.
It doesn't read as 4.65 but rather as 4.65 GHz (avg) ,the average part is the important part here,it means that your system didn't keep the full turbo during the whole duration of the test,since your result is at the top of the bell curve it is still normal for your CPU so don't worry about it.
You could monitor temps and power alongside clocks during the benchmark to get a clue why it's clocking down but since it's so little it's hardly worth the effort, if you want better performance do a proper overclock.

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
Userbenchmark in my experience has been unreliable as an indicator of system performance. I would recommend you use benchmarks like Cinebench15/20 and 3DMark to evaluate your system against other similar machines.
As sizzling indicated above, regarding clock speed, there's a difference between single and all core boosts.
Thanks for your reply. Yes the site title is misleading, it's no Cinebench that's for sure, but it's handy for a quick overview. I noticed that one of my 2.5" ssd's was slower but the two drives are new and identical except for the firmware (bought separately but same supplier two or three weeks apart). When I installed Win10, only one of those drives was plugged in and Win auto formatted that drive and put an EFI partition on it. I'm 'guessing' the variable there is either the firmware, that additional partition or the fact that the other drive is currently empty. I wouldn't expect identical results but closer, yes. I'll play around with those drives but I don't see it as an issue. I game a little and MetroX runs smooth as butter on Ultra maxed, and considering the forums most popular theme being unhappy performance, I'm a 'happy camper' in comparison. I'll do a more technical check on my rigs specs when I have the time but yes, 'single core' priority and performance was the key here. Thanks again.

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
It doesn't read as 4.65 but rather as 4.65 GHz (avg) ,the average part is the important part here,it means that your system didn't keep the full turbo during the whole duration of the test,since your result is at the top of the bell curve it is still normal for your CPU so don't worry about it.
You could monitor temps and power alongside clocks during the benchmark to get a clue why it's clocking down but since it's so little it's hardly worth the effort, if you want better performance do a proper overclock.
Thanks for your reply. Avg yes, but sizzling nailed it. "The 9700K has stock base / boost clocks of 3.6 / 4.6 GHz and a single core boost of 4.9 GHz". When time I'll run HWiNFO or something and log it as a curiosity but I'm not too concerned. Thanks again.