Userinit.exe not found

aonor

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I was playing Hitman Absolution when I alt+tab to lower the volume. It switched me to a black screen where I couldn't see my mouse or my desktop, so I restarted my computer. But when Windows was loading, it said that Userinit.exe was not found and to press "ok" to stop the program. It then showed a Windows is not genuine. I tried working in Safe mode but it still shows the same error.

Userinit.exe is the Windows login process. Without userinit.exe, you cannot log in, even in Safe Mode. On Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, this file is considered a system file and is owned by Trusted Installer, so it can't be deleted or corrupted by any malware even if that malware is installed with administrative privileges. However, if you are running Windows XP, it's fair game.

Many years ago some Windows XP malware did masquerade as userinit.exe in a separate folder which tricked some people into deleting the real userinit.exe and rendering their system unusable.

If you are able to log in, then the real userinit.exe is present and accounted for.

aonor

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

I'm currently staying at my uncle's house for the summer with no access to the disk. Do you have any other way? It was fine until today.

aonor

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I don't have a Windows 7 installation disk currently.

Pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/8rRmX86.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3rMEGsp.jpg

3rMEGsp.jpg

8rRmX86.jpg

Jeremy Allen

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
IMO, from what I've seen, "Windows is not genuine" can be from a "cracked" version of Windows 7. Which I do not recommend doing, it is illegal and not safe 99% of the time. I'm not saying you cracked it, but that could be a problem! (Highly unlikely.)

Look around your Uncle's house for a disk, ask the neighbours, ask anyone near to just borrow it for an hour or two.

Worst comes to worst, you wipe your drive, reinstall when you can.

I'm not expert, but anything helps.