Username Portion of Generic Link...

Bigtunelover

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
I am wondering if there is a way I can create a link that will open the typical location of the "pictures" folder in windows 7 that can be used regardless of which user is logged in.

For example my link would be C:\Users\myname\pictures but if I sent that link to my colleague it would obviously not work for her. I assume i can use some syntax to have the link refer to the current users path?

Les

Bigtunelover

Commendable
Feb 16, 2017
Awesome! That works perfect when I pop into RUN. It takes me exactly where I want to go. When I try to create a link for it in One Note, it doesn't recognize it as a correct pathway and "OK" is grayed out to create the link. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your help!

It would seem OneNote doesn't have the capability to parse environmental variables like other Office apps can (using the env function). This (pay) add-on claims to add the capability.

https://www.onenotegem.com/document/create-variable-links-in-onenote

If you don't mind losing the click-to-go-to-link functionality, you can just put %systemdrive%%homepath%\Pictures in a OneNote document. If you need to go to it, just select and copy it, then paste it into the address bar of a File Explorer window. It will navigate there as if you'd clicked a link. i.e. The environmental variables work in File Explorer.

TRENDING THREADS