News Users Claim Two CyberPower UPSes Pose Fire Hazard

InvalidError

Titan
I had a CP1500something that deep-fried its battery pack: the battery had a couple of shorted cells bringing the pack under 20V and the UPS keept pumping over 1A into it indefinitely. Software monitoring reported 24V pack voltage regardless of whether the pack is connected dragging actual voltage across the battery wires under 20V or open-circuit at 27V. The battery was getting quite warm from dissipating 30+W all of the time and I was really surprised it never reported any anomaly besides instantaneously cutting off when going to battery power.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
I have two CP1000PFCLCDs so I'm not affected but I was thinking of getting a third one. I guess I won't be looking at one of the bigger units for now!

Jul 11, 2022
Never had any issues with CyberPower UPS.
Have over a dozen of those UPSs in service at various locations for several years now, including my home...not a single issue.
That glue is used on many other things, emergency lighting, industrial electronics, robotics....even other UPS brands.
I see no evidence of a wide spread issue in regards to that glue being used.
The discoloring, i suspect would be due to heat.
I suspect the small amount of users that had their unit fail, used generic, cheap battery replacements from third party sellers.

I have nothing but issues with APC, never had a APC unit last more than 2yrs, one even caused a small fire at a previous workplace. APC denied there was a fault, and refused to honor their warranty or pay for damages. The business had to sue them, i never found out how that went though.
CyberPower is local to me here in MN, their headquarters.
I can just walk into their headquarters and deal with them direct if i should have any issues.
APC, is overseas.