News Users Report Ryzen 7000X3D Chips Burning Out, Killing Motherboards

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I agree. Not making excuses but had I seen anything that said DANGER USE AT YOUR OWN RISK I most definitely would not have installed the BIOS. I just installed it when I built the PC because it said optimized for 7000 series processors.

Innocent mistake on my part because I definitely do care about this system I just dropped a bunch of money on.

Thanks for chiming in and letting me know about betas. Definitely never doing that again.

The CPU and the socket looked completely normal when removed. No discoloration or anything else. I guess I should disable EXPO.

Yes I saw that... but the BIOS listed on that page appears to be the beta BIOS that I installed on the first board dated 4/14. I see no update but do plan on emailing them when I register the new board later tonight.

If that is the "fix" then maybe I just got a bad CPU? No idea.
No idea tbh.

D

Deleted member 2838871

No idea tbh.

Common denominator with the guy from Reddit is Expo was on… no OC.

Just disabled it and will see what develops. I’m already seeing videos with AMD promising refunds so I don’t think I’ll have too many issues with my RMA.

Reactions: Why_Me

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Jul 7, 2022
I agree. Not making excuses but had I seen anything that said DANGER USE AT YOUR OWN RISK I most definitely would not have installed the BIOS. I just installed it when I built the PC because it said optimized for 7000 series processors.

Innocent mistake on my part because I definitely do care about this system I just dropped a bunch of money on.

Thanks for chiming in and letting me know about betas. Definitely never doing that again.

The CPU and the socket looked completely normal when removed. No discoloration or anything else. I guess I should disable EXPO.

Yes I saw that... but the BIOS listed on that page appears to be the beta BIOS that I installed on the first board dated 4/14. I see no update but do plan on emailing them when I register the new board later tonight.

If that is the "fix" then maybe I just got a bad CPU? No idea.
Best of luck to you. I hope you get your money back and your new setup has no faults. Definitely, if the same thing happens to you again, we will know its a manufacturer QC issue and they should refund you while also paying for a comparable competitor system for you.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Best of luck to you. I hope you get your money back and your new setup has no faults. Definitely, if the same thing happens to you again, we will know it’s a manufacturer QC issue and they should refund you while also paying for a comparable competitor system for you.

Thanks. As said I’ve already seen reports of AMD promising refunds so I’m really not too worried about having any RMA issues. There’s always a CC dispute citing all the hardware failure stories that are in the news… that would obviously be a last resort but I wouldn’t hesitate. As you said there was no BIOS disclaimer from MSI either.

I rebuilt the PC with the new parts… board BIOS… and just disabled EXPO which I had in common with the Reddit poster. So far so good.

Hope It remains that way because I really want to keep running with AMD. First time I’ve had a system with an AMD CPU since the XP 1800+ in 2001. Been with Intel a long time but with AM5 being new I thought now was the right time to jump ship.

Will follow up with my RMA status.

Thanks. As said I’ve already seen reports of AMD promising refunds so I’m really not too worried about having any RMA issues. There’s always a CC dispute citing all the hardware failure stories that are in the news… that would obviously be a last resort but I wouldn’t hesitate. As you said there was no BIOS disclaimer from MSI either.

I rebuilt the PC with the new parts… board BIOS… and just disabled EXPO which I had in common with the Reddit poster. So far so good.

Hope It remains that way because I really want to keep running with AMD. First time I’ve had a system with an AMD CPU since the XP 1800+ in 2001. Been with Intel a long time but with AM5 being new I thought now was the right time to jump ship.

Will follow up with my RMA status.
You got the short end of the luck stick I assure you. I have been building a while and by happenstance was all Intel until Ryzen came out. In September of 2019 my 3570k just was not cutting it anymore. I grabbed a 3900x. It was mostly sunshine and rainbows for my experience. Any issues I had came down to learning the new platform, that and ASUS having some really crappy x570 BIOS on the release day. My only, "problem," I had with the platform was having the chipset drivers update properly. Their software for driver distribution had a couple bugs for a while there. I personally promised myself if AMD had a CPU within +-10% of Intel for my next build I would go with that. I was not disappointed, though I did overspend on the 3900x and would have been fine with an 8(16) core part.

I agree. Not making excuses but had I seen anything that said DANGER USE AT YOUR OWN RISK I most definitely would not have installed the BIOS.
Oh I guarantee you this disclaimer is there somewhere, for any and all bioses and all makers, just because flashing a rom is always somewhat dangerous.

And I might be wrong on this second one but just having -beta- on something could be considered enough of a disclaimer in lawyer land.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Oh I guarantee you this disclaimer is there somewhere, for any and all bioses and all makers, just because flashing a rom is always somewhat dangerous.

And I might be wrong on this second one but just having -beta- on something could be considered enough of a disclaimer in lawyer land.

I guess... not expecting any RMA issues regardless. Amazon is good with returns.

Apr 26, 2023
I got very annoyed tonight when I learned that it is possible that running EXPO memory at 6000Mhz I.E something which is used as a feature to sell boards - may invalidate your warranty.
I wrote the following to AMD and am expecting a response, you guys might like to check out what I am talking about by following the links in the message.

Okay, when I brought my CPU and motherboard it was on the basis that I could run DDR5 memory at 6000Mhz all day long 24/7/365 but now I am being hounded with doubts which AMD is the cause of. You advertise EXPO as a feature of your systems allowing memory to run at 6000Mhz and in some cases beyond but then I get told about this on your webpage found here: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/expo hidden away in the bottom left hand corner where it is TOTALLY obvious under footnotes with a triangle beside it.

"Overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors and memory, including without limitation, altering clock frequencies / multipliers or memory timing / voltage, to operate outside of AMD’s published specifications will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even when enabled via AMD hardware and/or software. This may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer. Users assume all risks and liabilities that may arise out of overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors, including, without limitation, failure of or damage to hardware, reduced system performance and/or data loss, corruption or vulnerability. GD-106"

Being that EXPO is a feature that is helping you sell boards - I want to know EXACTLY what you mean by the statement "outside of AMD’s published specifications" and I would like you to EXPLICITLY state what those Published Specifications are... if they are what is mentioned on your website under:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d which states you don't support memory running above the 5200Mhz Jedec standard then I feel it only fair to point out in the bottom of this page under yet ANOTHER hidden footnotes triangle the following:

"Game testing as of 5 December, 2022, by AMD Performance Labs using the following hardware: AMD Socket AM5 Reference Motherboard with AMD Ryzen™ 9 7950X, Ryzen™ 9 7950X3D and G.Skill DDR5-6000C30 (F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N) with AMD EXPO™; ALL SYSTEMS configured with NXZT Kraken X63, open air test bench, GeForce 4090, Windows® 11, PCIe® Resizable Base Address Register (“ReBAR”) ON, Virtualization-Based Security (VBS) OFF. All games tested at 1920x1080 with HIGH in-game preset and the chronologically newest graphics industry API available within the game’s rendering engine (e.g. Vulkan® over OpenGL™, DirectX® 12 over DirectX® 11). Desktop configurations will vary, yielding different results. Games tested: CS:GO, League of Legends, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Grand Theft Auto V, Hitman 3 Dubai GPU, Wolfenstein Youngblood (LabX), Hitman 3 Dubai CPU, Cyberpunk 2077, Borderlands 3, DOTA 2, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, F1 2021, Far Cry 6, Final Fantasy XIV, Warhammer: Dawn of War III, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Total War: Three Kingdoms Battle, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Watchdogs: Legion, Riftbreaker CPU, Red Dead Redemption 2. RPL-035"

Now this shows that you are running EXPO enabled memory and are showing it as a feature so one can naturally assume that having EXPO set is not running out of "published specifications" one could also assume that taking a 7000Mhz XMP kit and running it at 6000Mhz with settings <= that of the EXPO kit would also not be outside "published specifications" unless of course you are meaning again the specification of 5200Mhz as stated on the previous URL.. in which case I feel AMD are being disingenuous and quite misleading.

You are hiding details that go against what you publicly advertise as features while excluding warranty on CPUs if you use said features. I see this as contradictory and a MASSIVE problem..

Do I want you locking things down?. No. No I do not.

Do I want you to be absolutely explicit in what you are saying? HELL YES. you need to be specific to avoid miscommunication. If you are saying that overclocking using EXPO past what you specify on your webpage for the 7950X3D will invalidate warranty then don't be wishy washy about it - damn well explain all the limitations explicitly or - you can expect users to come back at you and say - you didn't clearly and explicitly specify therefore contributory negligence.

Now please clarify your position on "AMD’s published specifications" be explicit and verbose and leave no room for any doubt.

Jul 7, 2022
I got very annoyed tonight when I learned that it is possible that running EXPO memory at 6000Mhz I.E something which is used as a feature to sell boards - may invalidate your warranty.
I wrote the following to AMD and am expecting a response, you guys might like to check out what I am talking about by following the links in the message.

Okay, when I brought my CPU and motherboard it was on the basis that I could run DDR5 memory at 6000Mhz all day long 24/7/365 but now I am being hounded with doubts which AMD is the cause of. You advertise EXPO as a feature of your systems allowing memory to run at 6000Mhz and in some cases beyond but then I get told about this on your webpage found here: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/expo hidden away in the bottom left hand corner where it is TOTALLY obvious under footnotes with a triangle beside it.

"Overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors and memory, including without limitation, altering clock frequencies / multipliers or memory timing / voltage, to operate outside of AMD’s published specifications will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even when enabled via AMD hardware and/or software. This may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer. Users assume all risks and liabilities that may arise out of overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors, including, without limitation, failure of or damage to hardware, reduced system performance and/or data loss, corruption or vulnerability. GD-106"

Being that EXPO is a feature that is helping you sell boards - I want to know EXACTLY what you mean by the statement "outside of AMD’s published specifications" and I would like you to EXPLICITLY state what those Published Specifications are... if they are what is mentioned on your website under:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d which states you don't support memory running above the 5200Mhz Jedec standard then I feel it only fair to point out in the bottom of this page under yet ANOTHER hidden footnotes triangle the following:

"Game testing as of 5 December, 2022, by AMD Performance Labs using the following hardware: AMD Socket AM5 Reference Motherboard with AMD Ryzen™ 9 7950X, Ryzen™ 9 7950X3D and G.Skill DDR5-6000C30 (F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N) with AMD EXPO™; ALL SYSTEMS configured with NXZT Kraken X63, open air test bench, GeForce 4090, Windows® 11, PCIe® Resizable Base Address Register (“ReBAR”) ON, Virtualization-Based Security (VBS) OFF. All games tested at 1920x1080 with HIGH in-game preset and the chronologically newest graphics industry API available within the game’s rendering engine (e.g. Vulkan® over OpenGL™, DirectX® 12 over DirectX® 11). Desktop configurations will vary, yielding different results. Games tested: CS:GO, League of Legends, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Grand Theft Auto V, Hitman 3 Dubai GPU, Wolfenstein Youngblood (LabX), Hitman 3 Dubai CPU, Cyberpunk 2077, Borderlands 3, DOTA 2, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, F1 2021, Far Cry 6, Final Fantasy XIV, Warhammer: Dawn of War III, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Total War: Three Kingdoms Battle, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Watchdogs: Legion, Riftbreaker CPU, Red Dead Redemption 2. RPL-035"

Now this shows that you are running EXPO enabled memory and are showing it as a feature so one can naturally assume that having EXPO set is not running out of "published specifications" one could also assume that taking a 7000Mhz XMP kit and running it at 6000Mhz with settings <= that of the EXPO kit would also not be outside "published specifications" unless of course you are meaning again the specification of 5200Mhz as stated on the previous URL.. in which case I feel AMD are being disingenuous and quite misleading.

You are hiding details that go against what you publicly advertise as features while excluding warranty on CPUs if you use said features. I see this as contradictory and a MASSIVE problem..

Do I want you locking things down?. No. No I do not.

Do I want you to be absolutely explicit in what you are saying? HELL YES. you need to be specific to avoid miscommunication. If you are saying that overclocking using EXPO past what you specify on your webpage for the 7950X3D will invalidate warranty then don't be wishy washy about it - damn well explain all the limitations explicitly or - you can expect users to come back at you and say - you didn't clearly and explicitly specify therefore contributory negligence.

Now please clarify your position on "AMD’s published specifications" be explicit and verbose and leave no room for any doubt.
They need to do this. Like how are all us wayward consumers supposed to know what not to do if the companies don’t tell us in big bold letters. Just FYI I’m doing the same thing to a skiing company, how am I supposed to know that ski’s should not be used to assist in child birth!!! For that matter, they need to label gasoline in the correct way….fire explodie juice!!!

Hahaha just kidding. In all seriousness you make a very valid point, if AMD is advertising their products in a way that encourages users to void their warranty then that is messed up. EXPO should be a “limited warranty feature” where only physical damage is covered. If the memory or memory controller isn’t stable at 6000mhz then sucks, only 5200mhz is guaranteed to work, but if hardware fails because of turning on EXPO, then warranty covers that.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hahaha just kidding. In all seriousness you make a very valid point, if AMD is advertising their products in a way that encourages users to void their warranty then that is messed up. EXPO should be a “limited warranty feature” where only physical damage is covered. If the memory or memory controller isn’t stable at 6000mhz then sucks, only 5200mhz is guaranteed to work, but if hardware fails because of turning on EXPO, then warranty covers that.

... and just got the email confirmation from NewEgg that my RMA for my dead mobo and cpu was approved.

Just as I expected. :p