Users with Vista x64 and D975XBX2, please help

sovereignty68

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I just got D975XBX2 to replace eVGA 680i SLI. But I'm having trouble with Vista x64 installation. Whenever Vista x64 installation finished loading files before going to setup screen, a BSOD appears - "BAD_POOL_CALLER..... STOP: 0X000000C2". If I disabled RAID (ICH7R) in BIOS, BSOD is gone. I know RAMs are good because I was using them in 680i mobo and passed 20 hours of memtest+. Is it possible that my mobo is defective. Does anyone have same problem?

Here's my spec:
Intel X6800
Intel D975XBX2 BIOS 2745 Dated 5/9/2007
2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC8500
4 x 150GB Raptors on RAID 0 ICH7R
4 x 500GB SpinPoint on RAID 0 MARVELL
eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX

minkyboy

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
My config is similar. Check with crucial on how much voltage those sticks will take and how other people are making out with this mobo. I have 4 Gigs of Corsair 6400 and after reading that people had to increase the voltage of their memory (even with 2 Gigs) in the BIOS, mine ran great. I had to kick them up to 2 volts, but everything runs smoothly, if a bit warmer. I have a 700 watt PSU and I think it is marginal with my setup. I have 6x500 Gig HDD's and 2x160's.
I hope you have a nice big power supply.
I had to install several times due to some config changes but x64 ultimate is now running rock solid, as will yours soon.

sovereignty68

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I upped the voltage to 2.3, and it still no good. I revert back to XP x64 but I got more problems. XP installed fine but whenever I enable Marvell RAID, I get BSOD or hang. That is right after fresh installation of XP with no other drivers installed yet AND with audio, serial, parallel port disabled in BIOS. Right now my board won't allow me to use both RAID controller at same time. That's not it though, if I installed Intel Matrix Storage Manager 7.x downloaded from Intel, my system will gives me BSOD regardless if Marvell RAID is enabled or not. I suspect that my mobo has a faulty RAID controller.

minkyboy

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Another one I had was doing that when the secondary raid was activated. It ended up being a bad drive on the controller.

Have you gotten word that 2.3 is the sweet spot for your memory?

minkyboy

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
You are running all those drives striped, is that right? I am running the 160's as RAID 0, 2 of the 500's are striped and 2 are mirrored, 2 just hang out. I had a RAID 10 initially, with 4 500's, but that thing was forever checking itself out and slowing way down every time it did for long periods of time, so I gave up the idea of safe and fast, so now I just do fast with alot of backups.
I know you probably have triple checked that the memory is all plugged in nice and snappy. Have you been able to boot with a 2 drive RAID.
They have XP64 Matrix software? Cuz I don't think Vista does. Not that works anyway. Lucky to find a driver for the initial setup as I recall.

sovereignty68

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
You are running all those drives striped, is that right? I am running the 160's as RAID 0, 2 of the 500's are striped and 2 are mirrored, 2 just hang out. I had a RAID 10 initially, with 4 500's, but that thing was forever checking itself out and slowing way down every time it did for long periods of time, so I gave up the idea of safe and fast, so now I just do fast with alot of backups.
I know you probably have triple checked that the memory is all plugged in nice and snappy. Have you been able to boot with a 2 drive RAID.
They have XP64 Matrix software? Cuz I don't think Vista does. Not that works anyway. Lucky to find a driver for the initial setup as I recall.

I'm not sure if they have Vista x64, I meant Matrix Storage for XP 64-bit. I have 4 x Raptor 150s striped RAID 0, I'm able to boot into the Windows XP x64, but the secondary raid is completely unusable. I just enable secondary SATA in BIOS, changed boot device order, and then I'm not able to boot into Windows - either BSOD or blank screen. Right now I have two 500GB RAID 0 sitting on secondary SATA and doing nothing. I bought the board from Amazon.com, and they'll send in a replacement via next day shipping. I'm hoping it is the board problem, otherwise, I'll have to go back to 680i. I'm not sure if 2.3v is sweet spot for the memory, but they were running at 2.2v 3-3-3-9 800Mhz for 20 hours of memtest without any errors. I couldn't think of anything that might've caused the BSODs besides the RAID controller.

dblD

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Hi, I was going to ask if you have the 2745 bios but I see that you do so that's cool (it had several Marvell updates). I am running Vista 64 with an x6800 and 4G and I successfully did a 'clean' install but I only have a 4 drive matrix raid setup. They are all on the ich7r controller as 4 500G Seagates 7200.10s; I configured it as two volumes with c: as a 400G raid 0 and d: as a 1.2G raid 5 configuration (very nice, very fast). The installation went fine, without any issues or hiccups and it has been very solid since (today I just installed the latest raid drivers). I haven't tried anything on the Marvell controller yet (I still don't fully trust it so I'm saving it for esata and optical drives only).

I looked at the MS KB and they had nothing for Vista (32 or 64-bit). The only thing that was referenced at all was with regards to networking and most of it was for W2k3 (Vista's immediate daddy). I am running gigabit on a standard home-type network (linksys) and it works fine; I don't know what you have going for networks. If you look at the KB articles, there is one that gives a reasonable 'cause'...

This problem can occur if a Layered Service Provider (LSP) has been registered by using a Winsock catalog and the socket is canceled. Because of a thread synchronization problem, Winsock occasionally tries to free memory structures two times. In particular, you may experience this problem if Citrix Metaframe is installed and many users log on and log off by using Terminal Server sessions.

If you do want to continue trying to install Vista 64 (and if you don't mind a suggestion or two), I think you should try to drastically dummy-down your system until you figure out the problem. Perhaps an initial go with maybe no networking and with a much simpler 4-drive raid configuration (I know that works :)). Based on the 'cause' statement (above) you may want to totally unplug your eithernet cable altogether, I am suggesting that you really dummy-down your system until you determine the problem. You can always hook up the lan and add another volume or two later.

Best
--DD