Question uses for defective gtx 980-ti

Sep 26, 2019
so in my first thread on this site i was trouble shooting some issues and the summary is my refurbished card causes restarts under load so now im wondering if its possible to use it in some way shape and form (can't return it sadly)

my idea's of using it would be as a second output or maybe getting a use out of it through under-clocking or something like that

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can you link to your first thread?

A defective GPU isn't likely to cause a restart... crashes, artifacting etc, absolutely... completely shutting off, possibly..... but just restarting?

What are your full system specs?

Given you're talking about a 980TI, I suspect you're looking at a PSU related issue....

Sep 26, 2019
i took it to a shop and they comfirmed it was the card plus i replaced everything else excluding the motherboard and cpu so i don't think its the power supply

EDIT:specs are a i7-9700k with 16gb of trident-z ram with a ROG z390-e motherboard
added a rtx2060 after the shop said the old card was bad

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok, certainly seems unlikely to be the PSU, given the unit in question... not impossible, but no very likely either.

Only thing I'd clarify at this point.... had you clean installed your OS with this hardware ? From your old thread, you stated your had 'reset', which is not (necessarily) the same thing. If the OS drive came from another system and you just expected it to be 'plug and play', then that can be problematic.

Beyond that, and what you can do with the 980TI if it does prove defective.... there's very little use in it as a basic display out, especially given the power draw.

Underclocking it might give it a new lease on life, but all depends on the underlying problem.... which can be difficult to identify.

Sep 26, 2019
Ok, certainly seems unlikely to be the PSU, given the unit in question... not impossible, but no very likely either.

Only thing I'd clarify at this point.... had you clean installed your OS with this hardware ? From your old thread, you stated your had 'reset', which is not (necessarily) the same thing. If the OS drive came from another system and you just expected it to be 'plug and play', then that can be problematic.

Beyond that, and what you can do with the 980TI if it does prove defective.... there's very little use in it as a basic display out, especially given the power draw.

Underclocking it might give it a new lease on life, but all depends on the underlying problem.... which can be difficult to identify.
sadly im new to this so forgive any short comings in my knowledge however what i think you might be saying is when i did a clean install of windows that might of caused issues which i cannot verify other than to say the problem was there from the start and i followed the usual trouble shooting steps with things like graphics drivers accept flashing a bios (i had no experience doing that so i held off)

Latest posts