[SOLVED] Using “supported” PCiE cables for semi modular power supply

Jul 25, 2019
So I have an EVGA NEX750B power supply and I purchased an extra 6+8 pin connector for my new GPU from amazon. The merchant said it is compatible with my PSU but recently I’ve noticed my PC randomly freezes up and I need to force shut down in order to get it running again. I’m not sure if the cables are the issue because it runs fine 99% of the time. I’ve already contacted EVAG for extra cables but they are taking a while to respond and I need to know if using my PC is dangerous because I have a lot of work to do and not using my PC would be difficult but I’d prefer it be a last resort as I hate using my chrome book for work.

Symptoms of issue: Both monitors freeze frame, then go black screen and display no signal. PC still running but monitors won’t work until I force reset.

Solution
Shouldn't mix any cable delivering power. That goes for hdds/ssds as well. PSU Pinouts aren't standard so they can change and voltage/ground wires can be in different spots. Looks like you were lucky though because if the voltage wires were opposite in the pcie cable it would have fried the graphics card.

Your freezing issue seems like something else. Troubleshoot ram and check cpu/gpu temps.

Check other simple things like video cable and try one monitor only.

Check ram with memtest. Youtube has vids how to usb boot memtest.

Check temps with HWinfo64

Maybe try reinstall video drivers using ddu first in safemode to wipe drivers clean.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't mix any cable delivering power. That goes for hdds/ssds as well. PSU Pinouts aren't standard so they can change and voltage/ground wires can be in different spots. Looks like you were lucky though because if the voltage wires were opposite in the pcie cable it would have fried the graphics card.

Your freezing issue seems like something else. Troubleshoot ram and check cpu/gpu temps.

Check other simple things like video cable and try one monitor only.

Check ram with memtest. Youtube has vids how to usb boot memtest.

Check temps with HWinfo64

Maybe try reinstall video drivers using ddu first in safemode to wipe drivers clean.

Reactions: OffinEWN
Solution