[SOLVED] using 1 6-pin connector out of 2

markoajronovi46

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
So, i took my Sapphire R9 270X to a machine with pretty not good PSU and had one molex to 6-pin adapter so i was curious if it will work pluggin' just one 6-pin on GPU.

If i plug into first 6-pin, the PC cannot POST it beeps, but if i connect into the seccond connector then PC would boot just normally.
I didnt installed driver cause it was test machine and im not sure if Kubuntu installed the driver right away but i only know it shows GUI and boots thats all.
So my question is, is there any consequence of using only 1 6-pin connector since gpu needs 2 to work properly i guess, i heard about it can consume more power when needed on the pci-e slot or the current 6-pin so it will come to overloading and quite possibly damaging the cable or slot, even if it makes sense i would love to know what are you people thinking, what are yours experience with this stuff?

Solution
I know with the RX 400 and 500 series you can plug one power cable in and it will be just fine. However, I'm not sure about the R9 200 series. The worst part of your test is the adapter. Those things can burn up, but typically when the GPU is full power.
I know with the RX 400 and 500 series you can plug one power cable in and it will be just fine. However, I'm not sure about the R9 200 series. The worst part of your test is the adapter. Those things can burn up, but typically when the GPU is full power.

Solution

markoajronovi46

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
Well RX 500 at least mine uses only one 8-pin but i won't test it XD. I agree with you that it can burn up on full power. Adapters are usually fine especially on newer cards so PSU is only problem, if it lacks of those connectors then its not efficient enough. Still this was only a test before i buy better PSU cause i dont wanna use adapters even if it works okay.My theory is that it worked cause one of those connectors had that system if it has power then gpu can POST if it doesn't then it wouldn't post. So i guess obviously this is not good idea. Thanks for answers anyways!