[SOLVED] using 2 GPUs for Separate Monitors

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
Hi, so i use 2 monitors for streaming purposes, i have my HDTV for main game play, and have a small DVI monitor to have the twitch stream + chat up while the game is going on the TV, and i used to use an RX 480 which had both HDMI and DVI which was awesome, i recently upgraded to the GTX 2080Ti which does not have a DVI port, so i wanted to spend $20 on a small 1 GB GPU that has a DVI port on it and have the second monitor connect to that, so my question is, how will this affect performance on the computer? if i have video output set to "Extend" which GPU is taking priority? do they work together? will i get stream/game lag? how is this working in the long run? i'm sorry if this is a broad question i just didn't know how to word it properly.

Solution
both GPUs are Nvidia if that makes any difference.
All clear then, but when you have the beast that is the 2080Ti, that other gpu serves very little purpose...

if i have video output set to "Extend" which GPU is taking priority?
The one you set through Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Set up multiple displays.

do they work together?
Yes.

will i get stream/game lag?
That's going to depend on your hardware, internet connection and streaming settings.
Seeing as you have a 2080Ti, I'd assume you have a strong cpu to go with it, so you're covered on the hardware front.
My internet sucks, so I probably couldn't stream more than 720p 60fps. 1080p would be hella choppy.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That can actually hurt performance, because you're having to run both Nvidia and AMD gpu drivers in one PC.
I've heard it can be done without issue, but I'm not the one who'd know how to set that up.

It would've been better to get a signal adapter than a whole other gpu...

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
That can actually hurt performance, because you're having to run both Nvidia and AMD gpu drivers in one PC.
I've heard it can be done without issue, but I'm not the one who'd know how to set that up.

It would've been better to get a signal adapter than a whole other gpu...

There are a few options available:
  1. Purchase a DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter/cable. Connect both monitors to the RTX 2080 Ti.
  2. If your motherboard provides onboard video, then connect the DVI monitor to the appropriate motherboard connector.
  3. Your suggestion which is to purchase another video card and connect the DVI monitor to the second video card.
All three options should work fine under the described usage.

To answer your questions, the two video cards should work independently as long as you do not link/bridge the video cards together. The graphics driver and Windows will determine GPU priorities. However, you could manually set which video card an application will use. Also, this setup should not produce any additional lag to either game or stream.

The drawbacks to using a second video card would be the occupying of a PCIe slot and additional power draw.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All clear then, but when you have the beast that is the 2080Ti, that other gpu serves very little purpose...

if i have video output set to "Extend" which GPU is taking priority?
The one you set through Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Set up multiple displays.

do they work together?
Yes.

will i get stream/game lag?
That's going to depend on your hardware, internet connection and streaming settings.
Seeing as you have a 2080Ti, I'd assume you have a strong cpu to go with it, so you're covered on the hardware front.
My internet sucks, so I probably couldn't stream more than 720p 60fps. 1080p would be hella choppy.

Solution

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
There are a few options available:
  1. Purchase a DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter/cable. Connect both monitors to the RTX 2080 Ti.
  2. If your motherboard provides onboard video, then connect the DVI monitor to the appropriate motherboard connector.
  3. Your suggestion which is to purchase another video card and connect the DVI monitor to the second video card.
All three options should work fine under the described usage.

To answer your questions, the two video cards should work independently as long as you do not link/bridge the video cards together. The graphics driver and Windows will determine GPU priorities. However, you could manually set which video card an application will use. Also, this setup should not produce any additional lag to either game or stream.

The drawbacks to using a second video card would be the occupying of a PCIe slot and additional power draw.
someone told me on a different forum that whatever monitor the app is on will decide which GPU takes priority like if i have OBS on the DVI monitor then that GPU will be controlling OBS etc.. any truth to that?

hiro928

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017

Yes.

the other GPU is to connect to my DVI monitor which the 2080Ti doesn't have a DVI port, also in the "set up multiple displays" window it says that the 2080Ti is the Primary Display, so does that mean regardless of the program i run or what monitor it is being displayed on the 2080Ti will be controlling it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
the other GPU is to connect to my DVI monitor which the 2080Ti doesn't have a DVI port, also in the "set up multiple displays" window it says that the 2080Ti is the Primary Display, so does that mean regardless of the program i run or what monitor it is being displayed on the 2080Ti will be controlling it?
No, but said programs will OPEN on the primary monitor.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You can't, as far as I know.
I have a dual monitor setup(but run both off a single gpu), but most of the programs I open will only do so on the main monitor - some will open on the other if I have my mouse cursor there though.
I can also just slide the program windows over to the other, and vice versa.