Using 2 internet connections for 2 different apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basalat

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
Hello! So What I want to do is that I have 2 internet connections on my PC, 1 is Ethernet and the other is Wireless. Now, I want to stream (on Twitch) with my Wireless internet (because it is faster, but it is limited) and I want to use my Ethernet for all the other stuff I do... The problem is that I will be playing a game (Overwatch) and since both streaming and game will be using Internet I want to use Ethernet for gaming while at the same time use Wireless for streaming.

Solution
You can set a static route to use one connection specifically for a specific address. It's tricky, and messing it up can render your computer unable to get on the internet at all, but it can be done. You have to know the addresses specific to the services you want through wireless and set the static routes to use that.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/adding-a-tcpip-route-to-the-windows-routing-table/
That's not possible. The computer will not allow you to use both at the same time. You would have to manually switch. The connection is based on Windows as whole, and I'm pretty sure there is not a software that will allow you to separate it.

dgingeri

Distinguished
You can set a static route to use one connection specifically for a specific address. It's tricky, and messing it up can render your computer unable to get on the internet at all, but it can be done. You have to know the addresses specific to the services you want through wireless and set the static routes to use that.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/adding-a-tcpip-route-to-the-windows-routing-table/

Solution

Maybe you are right, that's the only way it could be "faster and limited" than Ethernet.

Basalat

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Arlight, I'll look into it & Thx!

Basalat

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

bandwidth is not an issue. It's just that the wireless internet is giving bad ping on Overwatch, whereas my Ethernet is good for it.

Basalat

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, I'll have to look into it. Don't really have any experience in networking tho :p

dgingeri

Distinguished
It's a hard thing to program static routes, so try to keep it as simple as you can.

Think of it this way:
your ethernet interface IP: 192.168.0.101
your wireless interface IP: 192.168.10.26
your streaming service IP address: 45.45.45.124
With that, you'd specify things this way:
"route -p ADD 45.45.45.124 MASK 255.255.255.255 192.168.10.26"

Basalat

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Oh... So I'm programming it to go only through the one IP which is of my wireless internet... Hm... How do I know twitch's IP?

dgingeri

Distinguished

Yes, that's exactly what you're doing. As for Twitch's IP, I have no idea. I don't do anything with that. You'll have to look that up yourself.

Feb 24, 2019
It's a hard thing to program static routes, so try to keep it as simple as you can.

Think of it this way:
your ethernet interface IP: 192.168.0.101
your wireless interface IP: 192.168.10.26
your streaming service IP address: 45.45.45.124
With that, you'd specify things this way:
"route -p ADD 45.45.45.124 MASK 255.255.255.255 192.168.10.26"
omg worked very good ...downloading with one internet ....watching twitch with another

Status
Not open for further replies.