[SOLVED] Using 2133mhz memory with i7 4770k - PC won't boot into Windows

VladiPHD

Honorable
Mar 13, 2014
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone knows what's going on here.

I'm putting together a PC for my fiancé with some older hardware I have and I can't get it to boot into Windows 10 with the memory above 1600mhz. PC specs are listed below:

i7 4770k (stock speeds, not O.C)
GTX 1070 (stock, not O.C)
Adata XPG DDR3 2x8GB 2133mhz memory
Gigabyte Z87X-UDH4-CF Mobo
600w Corsair PSU

The pc works great and boots fine when the XMP profile is "Disabled". That sets the memory at 1600mhz. There is only one XMP profile on the memory and enabling it, or manually setting the multiple in the BIOS to equal 2133mhz makes the computer not boot into windows. It goes into Recovery mode and says the kernel is missing.

I believe that processor works fine with memory over 1600mhz right? And the motherboard manufacturer's website says it supports "DDR3 2133 (O.C)" memory so I think I'm good on the mono end too.

I do have the latest BIOS on the mobo, I checked that.

Some thing I've been thinking of:
Could the PSU be too weak to supply the needed voltage maybe? Does setting XMP "overlock" anything else besides the memory? Could it have something to do with the voltage on the memory for these sticks? 1.65v I think?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Solution
You might need to set the dram voltage manually from bios, also have to say the only memory i had problems with is ADATA. Your motherboard supports up to 3000mhz oc memory but that doesnt mean you can get nearly that high.

Thing is your XMP profile might alter things like voltages and cpu multipler (latter one rarely) what model corsair PSU you have?

You can check the settings before and after XMP to see what all changed^*
You might need to set the dram voltage manually from bios, also have to say the only memory i had problems with is ADATA. Your motherboard supports up to 3000mhz oc memory but that doesnt mean you can get nearly that high.

Thing is your XMP profile might alter things like voltages and cpu multipler (latter one rarely) what model corsair PSU you have?

You can check the settings before and after XMP to see what all changed^*

Solution