[SOLVED] Using 24 pin motherboard to dual 8 pin pci-e for egpu dangerous?

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
I have this Old PSU bought from a computer shop because i found this converter on online shop that kinda interesting to me. Since my GT 740m couldnt handle post 2013 games im thinking of using an external gpu since i have an unused mining riser. Do you think it safe, not recommended, or should i just avoid it?

I dont have any gpu right now, but lets say the gpu require a single 6 pin power and a bit power hungry like gtx 550 ti, gts 450, etc.

PSU Interior
PSU Interior (Closer look)
PSU Spec Table

What I can scrounge up on the internet tells me that the 12V pins on the 24-pin connector are only good for up to 8A, assuming it's using 16g wire. So even under the best circumstances, I would avoid the converter because PCIe 8-pin requires 12.5A in total, so adding two of them easily exceeds what the 24-pin can provide.

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020

AlexsvonMüller

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
What I can scrounge up on the internet tells me that the 12V pins on the 24-pin connector are only good for up to 8A, assuming it's using 16g wire. So even under the best circumstances, I would avoid the converter because PCIe 8-pin requires 12.5A in total, so adding two of them easily exceeds what the 24-pin can provide.
Thanks, i just search for this a while ago on internet about 24 pin motherboard color code.

InvalidError

Titan
What I can scrounge up on the internet tells me that the 12V pins on the 24-pin connector are only good for up to 8A, assuming it's using 16g wire.
#16 is overkill when standard MiniFit pins only go up to 9A and #18 is already good enough for up to 16A in ventilated enclosures. #16 is only really needed when using splitters or daisy-chained connectors.

The extra ESR can also help dampen ringing between the PSU, CPU and GPU bypass capacitor banks.