[SOLVED] Using 2x8GB RAM with 2x4GB RAM?

Thing5000

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
I know there are so many times this question is asked but i've been losing my mind for hours trying to see if what I'm trying to do.

I have 2 RAM cards (DDR3 TEAM GROUP 1600) in the 2 & 4 slots and another 2 (DDR3 TEAM GROUP 1333) in 1 & 3 slots

To be honest I have 2 questions:
  1. Is it possible for me to run all 4 of these at once to have a total of 24GB RAM?
  2. If so, How difficult will it be to get it working?

I can post CPU-Z info if it will help

I have tried:
Putting the RAM into a single channel to test if it worked. They all do.
Changing the slots they are in. The only time it did anything different is when I put one 8GB and one 4GB into slots 2 & 4 and the BIOS told me I had 12GB. Every other time it either said 8GB or 16GB.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX

At the time of typing this I have all 4 installed but Windows only tells me slots 2 & 4 are in use and 1 & 3 are empty. CPU-Z however can see all 4 installed...

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

Solution
A friend suggested the BIOS update and I checked that it is the latest update on the website.

I have some time off coming up so I'll test some stuff to see if I can see if anything changes in a couple day
You should be installing the lower speed modules in the first recommended slots (slots 2/4). This will usually ensure better compatibility or better overclocking potential to match the faster modules. If the correct configuration listed below does not work, you may not be inserting the modules fully. You could also try slightly loosening the screws on your CPU cooler if it's not the stock Intel cooler, because sometimes too much pressure from a screw mounted CPU cooler will shift pins out of proper position.

[CPUsocket]...

Thing5000

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Cheers for the response.

Guess now I just gotta see if they'll ever work at the same time.

It just seemed like they would considering if I used one of the 8GB cards with the 4GB card it did show 12GB total, But when I added the other 8GB card it ignored the 4GB card...

Just have to sit down with some free time and figure it out.
Most of the stuff I saw as to how to do it involved messing with BIOS and RAM timings and frequency, Of which I have zero experience.

Regardless, Thank you for the help

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
I know there are so many times this question is asked but i've been losing my mind for hours trying to see if what I'm trying to do.

I have 2 RAM cards (DDR3 TEAM GROUP 1600) in the 2 & 4 slots and another 2 (DDR3 TEAM GROUP 1333) in 1 & 3 slots

1. Is it possible for me to run all 4 of these at once to have a total of 24GB RAM?

I have tried:
Changing the slots they are in. The only time it did anything different is when I put one 8GB and one 4GB into slots 2 & 4 and the BIOS told me I had 12GB. Every other time it either said 8GB or 16GB.

At the time of typing this I have all 4 installed but Windows only tells me slots 2 & 4 are in use and 1 & 3 are empty. CPU-Z however can see all 4 installed...

Any help is appreciated

Thank you
Open the Task Manager tab performance> memory and see the total memory size, how much is in use and how much is available

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021

I have tried:

Any help is appreciated

Thank you
But keep in mind that memory with different frequencies will work at the minimum frequency.

Thing5000

Honorable
Nov 21, 2014
Open the Task Manager tab performance> memory and see the total memory size, how much is in use and how much is available
At the moment I have uninstalled the memory due to BSODs while using pc.
When it was installed it never showed up. Task Manager just said 16GB but when looking at CPU-Z it told me I had 24GB and also told me the cards in the other slots.

I'm not very good with Bios stuff but I have seen that I can limit (don't know if it the right description) the frequency to a certain amount, However it didn't seem to do anything. The RAM in slots 1 and 3 never gets noticed when either of the 2 and 4 slots are filled.

I don't think it's a faulty slots as CPU-Z can detect all 4 slots when in use. But windows cannot. It just shows 2 and 4 in use and 1 and 3 empty.

I will test suggestions when I have some free time to focus on just this.

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
At the moment I have uninstalled the memory due to BSODs while using pc.
When it was installed it never showed up. Task Manager just said 16GB but when looking at CPU-Z it told me I had 24GB and also told me the cards in the other slots.

I'm not very good with Bios stuff but I have seen that I can limit (don't know if it the right description) the frequency to a certain amount, However it didn't seem to do anything. The RAM in slots 1 and 3 never gets noticed when either of the 2 and 4 slots are filled.

I don't think it's a faulty slots as CPU-Z can detect all 4 slots when in use. But windows cannot. It just shows 2 and 4 in use and 1 and 3 empty.

I will test suggestions when I have some free time to focus on just this.
Try to test each ram stick in one channel in each DIMM. It is necessary to determine the malfunction or RAM or DIMM

A friend suggested the BIOS update and I checked that it is the latest update on the website.

I have some time off coming up so I'll test some stuff to see if I can see if anything changes in a couple day
You should be installing the lower speed modules in the first recommended slots (slots 2/4). This will usually ensure better compatibility or better overclocking potential to match the faster modules. If the correct configuration listed below does not work, you may not be inserting the modules fully. You could also try slightly loosening the screws on your CPU cooler if it's not the stock Intel cooler, because sometimes too much pressure from a screw mounted CPU cooler will shift pins out of proper position.

[CPUsocket] |8GB|4GB|8GB|4GB|

Reset the bios from the cmos jumper or pull the cmos battery for 5 minutes and reinsert it, then reinstall the ram making sure that all the latches click. Check the ram is detected in the bios, then confirm that Windows sees the 24GB of ram. Finally, run a ram tester like memtest86 (use the F11 boot menu for UEFI USB boot) to make sure the ram is good with zero errors.

The last thing you could try is reseating and repasting the CPU after checking for shifted, bent or broken CPU pins in the socket. Don't reseat the CPU until you have replacement thermal paste. Don't reuse thermal paste on the CPU unless you have no other option available.

Solution