Using 4 pin ATX CPU power adapter

Oct 1, 2018
Hi,

I've just upgraded my mobo and CPU and I'm now sporting an i7 8700k. I'm not intending to over clock but I do intend to game. I'm worried that I'm currently using a 4 pin atx from the PSU as the mobo has an 8 pin port and my PSU has a setup that I'm not familiar with. It's effectively a 4 + 4 but the 4 pin adapters are just duplicates of each other. Either will fit in the one side of the female 8 pin on the mobo but won't both fit side by side because they're a different arrangement of pins.

I'm not keen on buying a new PSU as mine isn't that old and was expensive when I bought it. Albeit I'd rather do that than melt my mobo.

What I'm trying to find out is, am I ok to use a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter or will the adapter melt if I'm running all cores for long periods? It seems this is a contentious issue... I can't seem to find an adapter that would effectively turn my two 4 pins into an 8 pin but if anyone knows of one, I'd be obliged. I'll put the make and model of my PSU up when I'm back home if that helps.

Cheers.

We'll wait for the make and model of PSU; please add the mobo since all I see above is the cpu.
However, for many of us the answer is always the same. DO NOT use an adapter. Not for motherboard power, not for graphics cards power, not for nothing over the wattage of a fan. Too much likelihood of system failure at best, part destruction, or house fire.

Lutfij

Titan
If it's the 4+4 pin EPS cable/connector you're referring to, it's not supposed to be a duplicate rather a mirrored connector. I would however pay heed to my colleagues advice above. It's best to be sure what you're doing before doing it.

Oct 1, 2018
That's brill, thanks guys. The mobo is an MSI Z370 Pro Gaming Carbon. I've still got to double check the PSU but I'm guessing I'm going to need a new one.

I've got a 1080 ti GPU in there and I'm using all the available SATA ports for various hard drives etc. I'd be grateful for any PSU suggestions if possible...

Thanks again.

OK so the PSU is end of life. Its a Powercool PC 850AUBA. I honestly didn't realise how old it was... Time to buy a new one then! Any suggestions please?