[SOLVED] using 700W power cable with 850W PSU

Solution
You'll be fine. I don't think you need a thicker psu cable until you get around 1500W. As long as the cable can really handle 700W, another 100W shouldn't put you over the edge.
Hi I had this 700W psu https://www.fsplifestyle.com/en/product/HyperS700w.html and I recently got a corsair 850W PSU https://www.corsair.com/tw/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/RMx-White-Series™-RM850x-—-850-Watt-80-PLUS®-Gold-Certified-Fully-Modular-PSU-(TW)/p/CP-9020156-TW .

it came with a US power cable and I only got uk ports, can I use the cable from the old psu onto the new one with no issues? they both have the same connection to the PSU itself (c13/c14)

thanks

Look at the actual ratings on the power cable itself.

The rating to look for is AMPERES. Not "wattage" or "voltage". You can have a power cord rated for "600V" but that doesn't matter if it can only handle 4A.

Also, check the fuse in the head of the plug. See what that fuse is rated at.

I'm sure you'll be fine since you're in a region with high voltage mains (i.e. 230V) unless it's a REALLY CHEAP power cord. High voltage means lower current (P=V*I). It's us losers in regions like the U.S. and Japan that have to worry about high current since our mains voltage is only 110V. :(

Jul 22, 2019
Look at the actual ratings on the power cable itself.

The rating to look for is AMPERES. Not "wattage" or "voltage". You can have a power cord rated for "600V" but that doesn't matter if it can only handle 4A.

Also, check the fuse in the head of the plug. See what that fuse is rated at.

I'm sure you'll be fine since you're in a region with high voltage mains (i.e. 230V) unless it's a REALLY CHEAP power cord. High voltage means lower current (P=V*I). It's us losers in regions like the U.S. and Japan that have to worry about high current since our mains voltage is only 110V. :(
I checked the cable, I think it's more than enough, 210-250v and 10A, thanks! Much love

Reactions: jonnyguru