[SOLVED] Using 8700k, 32gb DDR4 ram, GTX970. Should I upgrade to RTX 2070 SUPER or RX 5700 XT?

highsis

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Using 8700k, 32gb DDR4 ram, GTX970. Should I upgrade to RTX 2070 SUPER or RX 5700 XT?

Hey folks.

I tend to upgrade my gig once every 3~4 year, which means I will purchase a GPU and sit on it for a long time. 970 has been very economic so far yet I am finding more and more games not running well at high settings(currently playing Three Kingdoms Total War) so I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU.

I guess it's obvious GTX 970 is the bottleneck here. Would I need to consider upgrading my CPU or Ram when I change my GPU to either of those two? I don't OC because of the fan noise. Would I benefit substantially from upgrading my CPU? I mostly play at 1080p but I have 4k TV too that I'm willing to play games on if I can get over 60 fps on max settings.

I'm using z370 extreme 4 motherboard. Is this compatible with the new GPUs I'm upgrading to?

Which one of these two would you recommend, considering the price, performance and longevity?

Also, could you recommend me a brand from each model with the quietest noise level? When I bought GTX 970 I couldn't find any information about the noise and I had to go to some German website (which I don't speak) to learn that MSI double fan model boasts the quietest 970, and it was still quite loud. The noise level is very important to me.

Thank you.

Solution
What's the make and model of the power supply? You may/may not need to change that too, depending.

While performance between the 2 is similar what sets the 2 apart is:
-drivers: 2070 Super
-pricing: RX 5700XT
Go with which matters more to you.

As for the fan noise: the best thing you can do, hands down, is set your own fan curve. Also have a case that doesn't neglect on the gpu cooling.
Don't overclock, as that increases power consumption and thermals.
If the gpu can 'breathe easily', then it won't have a reason to... 'whine'.
Your ambient temps also affect cooling.
You want to get a stronger gpu while keeping it quiet, then have the external & internal cooling to match.

What is your case?

Msi's Torx, or Frozr fans - whatever, it's...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's the make and model of the power supply? You may/may not need to change that too, depending.

While performance between the 2 is similar what sets the 2 apart is:
-drivers: 2070 Super
-pricing: RX 5700XT
Go with which matters more to you.

As for the fan noise: the best thing you can do, hands down, is set your own fan curve. Also have a case that doesn't neglect on the gpu cooling.
Don't overclock, as that increases power consumption and thermals.
If the gpu can 'breathe easily', then it won't have a reason to... 'whine'.
Your ambient temps also affect cooling.
You want to get a stronger gpu while keeping it quiet, then have the external & internal cooling to match.

What is your case?

Msi's Torx, or Frozr fans - whatever, it's just a bunch of marketing malarkey. The above I already posted is the best for noise levels.

Solution