[SOLVED] Using a 120mm 3400rpm delta fan

MARV23

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
So i hard modded this 120mm 3400rpm delta fan to fit my mobo fan heather and it works fine since my mobo supports dc fan control, but i recently had this problem where my pc would encounter srttrail.txt bsod and when i researched the possible causes, Implementing incompatible hardware can cause the srttrail bsod, so i was wondering if that fan was causing the problem,
"Mobo=p8z77 - m pro

Solution
The system error relating to srttrail.txt could indeed be because of the power draw of the Delta fan being used that's causing a power supply overload. It can also be caused by corrupted software.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Without the fan model number we can't look up its specs to check. But FYI, a mobo standard fan header can supply 12 VDC power at up to 1.0 A max current draw. It is quite possible your Delta fan uses more current than that, and the mobo cannot handle such a load.

Assuming that the fan IS a Voltage-controlled fan (NOT one that uses the newer PWM system), you can NOT simply solve this by using a standard Fan Hub. Those can only control the speed of a fan using PWM Mode. You CAN connect it to a PSU output (either SATA or 4-pin Molex) using an adapter, but of course that will give you constant full speed - no speed control.

Reactions: MARV23