Using a 2.5" Laptop SSHD in a Desktop build.

Shadoefeenicks

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016
So I'm a long-time lurker here at tom's.

I've also built my last 3 PCs, so I'm no n00b to building. However I can't find the information that I'm looking for, either because I'm not looking in the right places, or because I gave up because I thought that this info would be easier to find.

I'm partway through building this: http://imgur.com/gU2TMJm

I'm also wanting to add a larger storage drive, but I want to minimize the amount of hardware in the front of the case and I want it to be quiet.

I've been impressed with what I've read about Seagate's 32GB NAND + 1TB HDD SSHD for Laptops. Obviously I could go for a 3.5" desktop version, but that requires mounting it in a drive cage, which I'm trying to avoid.

TL;DR What I'm wanting to know is can I mount the Seagate 2.5" drive on the back of the motherboard tray like an SSD? And could this cause thermal problems for the drive?

IDProG

Distinguished
You can mount any 2.5" (HDD or SSD or SSHD) drive into a SSD bracket. I don't have a Fractal Design Define R5 case, so I don't know if there are any SSD brackets at the back of the motherboard tray, but assuming there are, you can. About thermal problems, it depends on the drive and the mounting position (if it's a single SSD mount, your SSD won't get any bad thermal problems).

Shadoefeenicks

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016

Oh sweet! I haven't used the SSD brackets before so I had no clue.

The R5 has two brackets built in.

Shadoefeenicks

Commendable
Jul 23, 2016

yea there seems to be a real lack of 7200 2.5" drives.

does 5400 really make that much difference? *goes to anandtech to check*

EDIT: I'm not convinced it will make much difference considering it's a Hybrid drive

TRENDING THREADS