Using a 2 way splitter on a System Fan Header

eightythree

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
I have a Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB AIO CPU cooler and it's a bit different to set up vs others I've had. I'm building my first mini-itx build in a Corsair 250D with a Gigabyte H170N WIFI motherboard.

You're supposed to plug both of the rad fans into a controller that allows you to change the LED colors of the fans etc. It has a 4 pin out that goes to the sys fan header. Then you plug the pump into the CPU fan header. Problem is I'm out of fanheaders now for the intake fan and exhaust fans. I had jerryrigged a solution but i think this will be cleaner.

So the question is if I buy a splitter can I run the fans and the pump off the sys fan header?

Solution
Yes you can definatly, Even better would be if you were able to get a 4 pin molex to 2 pin, Then you plug you pump into this, It will keep it running constistantly and better then the MB would due to the direct line on the 12v. less stress on the motherboard aswell. and use the splitters for everything else you would like. Just do not split more then two. Never run 3 or more fans off 1 fan header.

bailojustin

Distinguished
Yes you can definatly, Even better would be if you were able to get a 4 pin molex to 2 pin, Then you plug you pump into this, It will keep it running constistantly and better then the MB would due to the direct line on the 12v. less stress on the motherboard aswell. and use the splitters for everything else you would like. Just do not split more then two. Never run 3 or more fans off 1 fan header.

Solution

scuzzycard

Honorable
The pump might draw too much current - 1 AMP is the maximum per header, so you'll have to do the math. If you can't find the specs on the pump, don't do it. 2 fans would be no problem but not a pump + a fan off one motherboard header.

bailojustin

Distinguished
Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB AIO CPU cooler water pump is rated at 12V 175mA, which is 12v .17ma, below the average of a fan.

Pump Rated Voltage: 12 V
Rated Current: 175 mA
Fan Dimension:120 x 120 x 25 mm
Speed:800 ~ 1500 R.P.M
Rated Voltage:12 V
Max. Air Flow:22.14 ~ 40.6 CFM
Edit:
pump specs