Question Using a 65W Powerbank On Dell XPS Laptop with USB-C Adapter 130W Unsafe?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
I bought a dell xps 15 9520 and it came with a 130W charger. Now where I will be using it, there are occasional power outages so I want backup battery on my laptop that would last few hours. Each of them uses usb-c charging.

Previously I had a dell xps 15 9550 and bought the PW7015L barrel powerbank and even though the 9550 has a 130W charger and that PW7015L powerbank has 65W, no issue with it slow charging. I assume this is because of the volts of each of them?

But is there any issue with the dell xps 15 9520 with the PW7018LC powerbank? I tested it while using the laptop and it seems to last 55 minutes and brought battery from 70% to 97%. I was not doing anything intensive on it but the laptop does have an i7-12700h processor and a 3050 nvidia graphic card. Not only that... message displayed when i plugged in the powerbank

Battery saver

Slow charger

To speed up charging, use the charger that came with the device

Now is there any concern using an underpowered powerbank with the dell xps 15 9520? I read somewhere that it requires minimum 90W? So is the worst thing it does just slow charge or not charge at all if not enough power? Or do you risk damaging your laptop as well this way? The other big thing here is my dell xps charger for this is usb-c and not the regular charger and someone mentioned usb-c functions a lot differently than the regular power charger. Any concern with using it or should I not use this powerbank? Thing is there isn't any 130W powerbank out there except one anker I believe. But there are some 90W 3rd party powerbanks. So is this dell 65W powerbank safe to use or not?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Hi. When I tested the PW7018LC powerbank with the laptop, I only connected the powerbank to it and that is all. For example like if it was a power outage. I connected it when it was at 70% and in about 55 minutes or so... the 5 lights went to 0 lights so it lasted 55 minutes. It also increased the battery from 70% to 97%. This Dell powerbank has 5 lights when fully charged then drops down to 0 lights when no more power. I am not connecting the dell xps 9520 power adapter to my laptop when doing this.

My concern however is when I was using it, I was doing very little on the computer, CPU usage was only 5% and not much ram being used. Normally I use lot of cpu and ram etc. So is there any concern here if i use my laptop aggressively while connecting only the powerbank to it?

Is there risk to damaging my laptop when connecting this powerbank to my laptop and using my laptop but using a lot of cpu and ram though? Main concern here is will it cause damage to my laptop or laptop battery or the powerbank itself.