Using a cheap thermal compound to test if CPU is compatible with mobo

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Hello there,

So I have built a new PC, whose mobo had to be sent to repair for a compatibility BIOS update, and is coming back in a few days.

Since I cleaned off the stock compound (still using the stock until I settle with an aftermarket, should do since I'll not be overclocking yet) I needed a new paste. I found a deal of Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano (1,5 g) which suits it well, I guess. Only downhand is I don't want to put it off and apply all over again (I doubt the amount would even suffice to apply twice) if things don't go well once again, and I get to have to remove the CPU.

The question is, there are a lot of OEM pastes (which I wouldn't even look for in normal cases) that are really cheap, can I use one for testing, and then remove it and apply the real deal once more?

Also looking for recommendations for a cheap but effective paste for my 11-yo PC as well.

If it helps, I use a Ryzen 5 2600 and a Gigabyte AX370M Gaming 3.

Solution
If you need a paste just for a few days, then you can as well use a regular toothpaste.
Be sure to change it shortly. It will dry up and then thermal conductivity will not be any good. But for a few days it's fine.

Arctic 5 silver is usually around $5 US and is perfectly suited for testing or continuous use. Those tiny syringes
31YrBDux0iL.jpg
are good for at least a dozen(being conservative) applications because the amount you use will be about the size of a small pea.

I recommend that for your test and your dino.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018

Well, it was my first choice as well, but I couldn't find one selling for an actual price (there was one, but it went down in an instant, another doesn't even have an original packaging), and all other sellers ell for 2x the price. So AS5 is out of scope.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016
Look for the thermal conductivity of the thermal paste. there are lots of good and cheap thermal pastes that come with decent thermal conductivity. The really good thermal pastes are something for squeezing every bit of performance from your CPU.

Just test the CPU with cheap paste, then while assembling it after testing, apply the good ones.

And with that being said, I should have known with the slight language issue, can you please also provide us with where you will be shopping? The store and not only the country. Budget?

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018

So, first off, do you have any recommendations? Second, is 11 W/mk good? Third, anything I have to pay attention to while getting a cheap one or would any of them work?

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018

Not even a few days, I guess hours will be sufficient. Thanks again

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018

Btw, AS5 has a warning on not to be used on aluminium heatsinks, which I have.

And unfortunately no. I'm in İzmir, nearly the opposite side

It has a warning? AS5 which contains aluminum oxide shouldn't be used on aluminum? That makes a lot of sense. Where's the warning? Others, that aren't familiar may take that warning as truth which it isn't afain. Currently it's a really bad rumor. http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm I'm not finding one on their site.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018

Well, the seller in Turkey says so. But I would trust the AS site.

TRENDING THREADS