Using a data only sim in a tablet...how does it connect to the internet ?

Mar 27, 2018
This may seem stupid....but I don't understand mobile broadband..e.g.... When I put a data only sim from Vodafone in my (first time user) Samsung Galaxy S tablet, how do I get on the internet ? I mean is there a number I have to dial ? I am pretty aufait with wifi but this mobile data use is new to me. thanks for any info. TonyE

Solution
it is the same thing as a cell phone and how it works except it is only data and not voice/text enabled. i'd assume you'll see network settings and such pop up once the sim is inserted. i have an old phone i use as a media device with no sim card and other than the missing sim warning in the notification area, i see none of the normal mobile settings that are usually there.

as a cellular network user it'll still have normal issues of weak/slow signal and all the other joys of cellular data so keep that in mind. also keep close tabs on the amount of data used by what app. some use a ton while others sip it especially with various video services. even had a few games i tried out use over 100 mb a day of data for whatever it was doing...
Mar 27, 2018

Yep, that is the bit that puzzles me...in the "old days" I had a dongle plugged into my laptop and a software "app" loaded off it which dialled the provider using the sim number as the account key on demand and made the connection. Having searched the Samsumg user manual I can see how to set up a "hot spot" but nothing about making the initial connection to the provider....and nothing on the vodafone site either !.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
once inserted, the tablet should just see it and connect. pretty much the same way a cell phone does. it will probably do a quick update to get newest network settings but after a reboot it should be good to go. the sim card should already be set-up for the tablet to use it. as others have said, if it does not work out of the box take it to the store to have them check it out. no reason to beat your head against the wall when they are there to help right away :)

Mar 27, 2018

Aha, that makes sense, having checked the manual on line, it makes reference to a "mobile network" connection which at the moment I don't have and cant see....so I guess the insertion of the sim brings up a menu extension on the comms page which otherwise one cannot see. Thank you.
PS the vodafone shop is the last resort, I am British living in the Czech Republic and the English technique of just shouting louder don't work here lol

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is the same thing as a cell phone and how it works except it is only data and not voice/text enabled. i'd assume you'll see network settings and such pop up once the sim is inserted. i have an old phone i use as a media device with no sim card and other than the missing sim warning in the notification area, i see none of the normal mobile settings that are usually there.

as a cellular network user it'll still have normal issues of weak/slow signal and all the other joys of cellular data so keep that in mind. also keep close tabs on the amount of data used by what app. some use a ton while others sip it especially with various video services. even had a few games i tried out use over 100 mb a day of data for whatever it was doing. manage that data wisely as even an unlimited plan is pretty much never actually unlimited. the fine print always gets ya before you know it's there.

youtube and netflix uses very little data for me but something like NFL mobile app streaming a game can use 2 gb for a single game!! did not know that and blew through a month's data in a single weekend one time :(

Solution