Question Using a Graphic Card with 300 W PSU requirements in a PC with 290W Power Supply

Abdul Haq Shaikh

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
I have bought a GT730 Graphic card which uses 300 watts of power whereas my Dell Optiplex 3020 PC Power Supply is 290W. The salesman from where I bough this card told me that it will work without the need to upgrade the Power Supply. I am not an ardent gamer and might use this GPU for some light graphic programs. I would like to know if I can install this card and whether it will cause any problem for my PC by using the existing 290 W power supply.

Lutfij

Titan
Dell Optiplex 3020
How old is the prebuilt's PSU? If it's the unit that came with the prebuilt, without being replaced, I'd replace it with a new unit and then drop in the GPU you've mentioned above. Though please keep in mind that the OptiPlex's come in different form factors, so besides the power requirement, you will also need to take note of internal clearances.

The salesman from where I bough this card told me that it will work without the need to upgrade the Power Supply.
You ask first and then go buy. Not the other way around.

What GPU did the OptiPlex power prior to your GPU upgrade path?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I had an old Dell Inspiron 580 years ago and it had a low wattage PSU. I think it was 300W. The company I was working for had an in house IT guy and he sent me home with a GT730. It worked. However, after much research I ended up buying a 750TI. Still have it in my home office PC.

TRENDING THREADS