Using a headset with Microsoft Lifecam HD5000

millsware

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Is there any way to use a different microphone while using the Lifecam HD5000? We have a headset that works, but when the webcam with built-in microphone is plugged in, the headset mic doesn't pick up.

teamjawbox

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Great question. I just purchased this webcam and am unable to determine how to disable the device's built-in microphone, so that I may use my Turtle Beach headset for audio.

Anyone? : )

Thanks!

BigBob_27

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Depending on what software you are using to record, will depend on where your video and audio sources can be located. The software that is supplied with the microsoft lifecam hd-5000 for recording is pretty much locked into using the built-in microphone. Although it has a setting level between zero and a hundred, even at zero, there's still a tiny level of sound that leaks through. The quality of this built-in microphone will depend of the distance that your sound source is from the webcam and the audio level that you set it at. I normally have my webcam approximately 20 inches from me and located on top my monitor in the center area. In that way, I can place notepad text on the screen right under the webcam and it looks like I'm still looking directly into the camera. If you are using this webcam for a chatline function, sometimes you should be able to select various audio sources from the chatline software that can normally be addressed through their Adobe Flash Player Settings. Most websites that use webcams, look best at 320 by 240. At this setting, you can use the electronic zoom feature on the webcam menu. Have fun...