Question Using a home theatre system with optical cable and hdmi in simultaneously

Dec 5, 2019
Hi. First post here had a quick run through the internet to find the answer elsewhere but could not find anything. I have a SONY BDV N7200w sound system that I've been using for a couple of years and I have the HDMI running to the TV which in turn means any devices I have into the TV are running through the surround sound. I've just bought a monitor for my PC which used to be hooked upto my TV. My question is I still want my PC to use surround sound so is it possible just to use an optical cable and wire it up that way without have to mess about changing any input settings or doing anything else so I can still use anything plugged into my TV. As well as use my PC obviously if they were being used at different times. And if they were been used at the same time what would happen? I'm trying to avoid using my monitor for sound as it is rubbish. Thanks.

Yes. You can use that setup. The TV/cable box connects to the sound system via HDMI. The PC connects to the sound system via optical. However, only one source can be played at a time.

On the controller for your sound system, the FUNCTION button controls the playback source:

HDMI1 / HDMI2 option (depending on how you connect it) will be your TV audio
TV option will be your PC audio.

Playing audio from two different sources simultaneously would be abnormal usage for a home theater setup. That would require audio mixing.

Dec 5, 2019
Thanks for the prompt reply I'm waiting for a longer HDMI cable to be delivered tomorrow and I will dig out an optical and try it out thanks . Honestly didn't think it would work that easy👍