Using a i5-6500, is my core actually this bad?

NerfThis

Prominent
May 26, 2017
So I bought a gaming desktop about 9 months ago with a i5 6500.
My PC specifications are below.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($120.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($269.89 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $885.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-06 22:10 EDT-0400

I have a dual monitor setup and my comp runs games fine, but when I run Overwatch or other games on low game settings in FHD 144hz and try to turn on a music player or surf the web at the same time, the CPU goes up to 100% and my computer starts lagging.

I thought this was normal for a while, but my friend with a lower gen CPU hasn't been experiencing this issue, so I thought I would ask you guys if this is normal. If not, what could be causing this? Thanks,

danielthegreate

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

The i5 range only has 4 threads, so if your game occupies that 4 thread running extra programs cause your CPU to start context switching which in turn causes your game to stutter and lag. A previous gen i7 will certainly have smoother performance in that case.

This is the reason that Ryzen 5 is recommended over i5. Although some i5 CPUs have a tad bit higher average performance in online reviews in games developed in 2015 and earlier, the reviewers use clean installs of Windows and only run the game. If you run your game in a different environment, the review results don't apply anymore. It is a shame that reviewers don't consider real world scenarios. However, I think when you bought your CPU the Ryzen wasn't available yet and i7 was massively overpriced.

Unfortunately, the only solution, for now, is to run the game only. Also, keep an eye out for processes that run in the background, such as Windows antimalware service and indexing service. These services can sometimes decide to run on their own and cause occasional stutters/hiccups. You have a high-end motherboard, so it would be a good idea to replace your i5 with an i7 when you can. Just remember to update your bios before removing your current CPU, especially if you wanted to use a 7th gen CPU such as i7 7700.

Solution