Using a integrated graphics card,I should have a dedicated graphics card,how do I check and enable it?

Voro

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
My PC is using a integrated graphics card while I should have a dedicated one,how do I check if I have one and enable it?

chenw

Honorable
is the monitor plugged into the main IO panel at the back of the computer (where all of the USB ports, audio jacks are) or is it plugged further down? If it is further down, then you should have dedicated graphics working. On a normal PC it's either one or the other that works, not both at the same time.

Also check your hardware manage and check for Video cards subsection

Voro

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

There is only one cable that connects the PC and the monitor,it has white ends and that's plugged in the only possible spot.

Voro

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Keyboard and mouse connected in the front via USB,I googled PS/2 port and I found it in the back.

Voro

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Around two inches away,so its far away from it.

chenw

Honorable
Last check, go to Device Manager, check if there is a Video card section in the list of hardware installed. If there is, check what model it is. If there isn't a Video card section in the device manager, then chances are there isn't any dedicated GPU.

The Monitor cable and PS/2 should be at least 5 inches apart if there is a dedicated GPU (since the monitor should be plugged into the card, not the motherboard, it sounds increasing likely that your monitor is plugged directly into the motherboard, which suggest a lack of dedicated GPU).

Voro

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

No video card section in Device manager.
There was a dedicated graphics card before I had to get my PC fixed and they said nothing about removing it or anything like that?

chenw

Honorable
Is your PC pre-built? I am guessing that some one somewhere might have sold you that computer as dedicated video card, but really is an integrated video card.

You might want to check your computer repairer to double check if there was any cards that was slotted into the PCI slots on your Mobo.

Voro

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

I had this for a while and it had a dedicated graphics card before but after I got it fixed I could only use the integrated one and I'll do that as soon as possible,thanks for the help.