Using a laptop harddrive in new desktop

Bikash_3

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Recently I bought i5 4440s and gigabyte 81m-s ,motherboard.. Due to low budget I want to use my laptop hard drive in PC which have window 7 installed ,but after putting it in PC its not booting up.my friend tried his hard drive with window 10 installed from his PC to my PC and its works.
My harddrive is completely OK and and detecting and I can use it as a external hard drive in other PC.
Then why is not booting up? Is processor does not support window 7 ? My friend suggesting me to install window 10 in that drive then problem will be solved ,.
Pls suggest..what to do and I want to keep window 7

Solution
Hi, because that laptop HDD has windows and drivers fr4om your laptop, it will not work with your desktop. You will need to install windows 10 onto the hard drive for it to boot up and work. :)
windows 7 does not like to be installed on one computer and then be put into another which is what your trying to do, going from your laptop into your desktop.

They changed a lot with windows 10 and now have made it a lot easier to move an OS from one computer to another, which is why your friends HDD that has windows 10 on it will work inside your computer.

If you want to use the HDD from your laptop you will ether have to upgrade windows 7 to 10 while still inside the laptop then move the drive over to your desktop. Or put the HDD inside your desktop, format the drive and reinstall windows 7 which you will need a new cd key for windows 7 since the old one is tied to the laptop.

Bikash_3

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I just put that laptop HDD again in new PC then installed fresh window 7 .now its working fine .the driver CD comes with the motherboard have driver for window 7/8 only .I can install window 10 but some drivers needs to be installed for gigabyte motherboard.
Thank you guy's for helping me out