Using a laptop screen as a second monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roosles

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
I recently found 2 (one broken) Dell Inspiron 8600s and one Inspiron 6400 that I had forgotten about. I watched a few videos where someone called "Great Scott" used the monitor that he took out, bought a controller for the monitor and then it was usable as a screen. The only problem I have is that I would need 3 controllers and it would cost me about £80; and the laptop already has ports on that I could use. Is it possible to do this without buying a controller, just somehow wiring up the screen to the circuit board?

My question is how do I use these, seeing as the ports are wired up to pretty much the entire circuit board - is it possible?
WoVB13Y.jpg

KVb66yS.jpg

EDIT: Images added

Solution

Try connecting a working screen to the board. If it works, you can possibly set it up to 2nd display using VGA to HDMI cable.
Setup Windows to connect to external monitor by typing in start 'external display' and hitting enter. Then click the button saying 'Detect.'
If you're lucky, set your computer to sleep and wake on usb in power settings, meaning you click the mouse or press any key on the keyboard, and the computer 'turns on.'

I've done this once. The time it took and all the hassle wasn't worth it in my opinion.
The cable runs around $10 USD. Only buy the cable if the working monitor works with the rest of the...

ilikerhinos

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Try connecting a working screen to the board. If it works, you can possibly set it up to 2nd display using VGA to HDMI cable.
Setup Windows to connect to external monitor by typing in start 'external display' and hitting enter. Then click the button saying 'Detect.'
If you're lucky, set your computer to sleep and wake on usb in power settings, meaning you click the mouse or press any key on the keyboard, and the computer 'turns on.'

I've done this once. The time it took and all the hassle wasn't worth it in my opinion.
The cable runs around $10 USD. Only buy the cable if the working monitor works with the rest of the parts.
Duct tape is your friend, attach the circuit boards to a wooden slab, it's the easiest 'mounting' solution.

Hope this helps.

Solution

Roosles

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015

Thank you for this, I'll give it a go. I have 3 identical laptops, I want to make a 3 screen display above my current monitor, so if I only have to pay for cables that will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.