Using a laptop SSHD in a pc vs standard HD worth it?

Agnaldo_2

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
Hello.

I bought a new pc and found out my dead laptop have a 1TB SSHD (Seagate ST1000LM014 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Laptop SSHD) My current storage drive is a (Seagate SATA 3,5´ BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6Gb/s - ST1000DM010)

Is it worth to use this 3 years old SSHD as my main storage drive just because of the SSD part?

Thank you!

Solution
If it stills works, I can't see why not.

Depending on how full it is / how it's been used, it will make your boot up and shut down a lot faster, as well as operate core programmes much more quickly. If it works and shows no sign of deterioration (I.e. clicking, ticking, severe dust build up - overheating etc.) then I can't see why not. It will make no difference to additional programs, but you'll the OS and a few core programmes operate as if they were on an SSD.

But SSHD is not hard and relatively inexpensive nowadays, if you'd rather the piece of mind of a new piece of kit.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it stills works, I can't see why not.

Depending on how full it is / how it's been used, it will make your boot up and shut down a lot faster, as well as operate core programmes much more quickly. If it works and shows no sign of deterioration (I.e. clicking, ticking, severe dust build up - overheating etc.) then I can't see why not. It will make no difference to additional programs, but you'll the OS and a few core programmes operate as if they were on an SSD.

But SSHD is not hard and relatively inexpensive nowadays, if you'd rather the piece of mind of a new piece of kit.

Solution
I would not.
The 8gb flash is not sufficient to hold much of anything.
Then, the underlying 5400rpm drive will be slow as a windows drive.

For bulk storage, it would do well.
On your pc, I would first try to use a SSD for windows. Probably 240gb is good.

Agnaldo_2

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017

The point is to cut some edges on my budget. I do not have the resources to buy a full ssd at the moment :s

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

I must add that I do agree with geofelt, you are MUCH better with just a dedicated SSD, as the 8GB SSD section will hold your OS and very very basic core programmes, you will see no benefit elsewhere (maybe even performance drop if it is lower RPM). Yet I would also say, I can't see a reason why to not use it, if it works, and if you are on a budget.

If your other HDD has a higher RPM, you could always use that to install programmes, and use the remainer of the SSHD for files. But I must say you are better just getting a dedicated SSD budget permitting. If not, if you want the up front performance increase of the OS, and not other programs, then it will be fine.