[SOLVED] Using a NAS/Enterprise drive in PC

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hi there,

High capacity SSDs are too expensive 4TB = 609$ for the 870 EVO. So I'd like to grab a high capacity HDD instead. I'm avoiding WD only because they're so secretive about which drive is CMR or SMR.

Seagate has 3 options for me, BarracudaPro 14tb (which for some reason is really hard to find), IronWolf/IronWolf Pro, and Exos (CMR models).

the iron wolf series and the Exos series look like great options because of the high capacity they offer...my question is since they're designed for specific use cases like NAS and Datacenter...would they be bad options for me?

I'm basically storing all my video, music, and photoshop assets, and other stuff that I will be accessing daily and may stream from my PC to my TV occasionally. So they're not meant for backup but daily use instead. Ideally buying 2 of these drives where one can be a back up for the critical project stuff in addition to my cloud storage.

Would there be an issue using these NAS/Data centre drives ?

This will be replacing my 2TB WD Green that I'm happy to finally get rid of after it failed for the first time since buying it in 2010.