Using a NAS hard drive for my gaming computer

levik406

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
Will using a NAS drive work fine they are cheap per tb. I was looking at the WD red drives what is the difference other then the red is optimized for server work load/storage...?

Basically. They're hard wearing drives - I'm sure someone can explain why they'd be a bad idea, but my assumption would be a higher cost per gig and slower speeds perhaps.

"The difference is that if you plan to install and play games from this drive, the WD Black would perform much better than the WD Red.
This is due to the fact that the WD Red incorporates IntelliPower because it is designed to run in 24/7 environments as a NAS/RAID drive, it spins down a bit faster than regular drives, when it's not accessed. This feature balances the spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms to save power and deliver solid performance. Besides, the NASware 3.0 advanced firmware is specifically built-in for NAS/RAID environments, so I'm not sure how many of the WD Red's advantages you will be able to experience using it as a stand-alone secondary drive.

The WD Black, on the other hand, is going to deliver high-performance even as a secondary drive. The 7200 RPM would surely out-perform the IntelliPower if you put them side-by-side. Another advantage the WD Black has is the 5-year limited warranty that seems rather attractive to customers."

courtesy SuperSoph_WD
Tom's Western Digital Rep.

levik406

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015

In my system I am currently running a Corsair Neutron XT 240gb SSD for my core software, a WD Black 2tb for games and extras and was looking to add a higher tb drive like the WD red 4tb drive for back up storage and storing/archiving older video edits and such???

levik406

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015

Ok I will check it out I knew they made a green drive just never looked into one thanks for the advice/info!!!