[SOLVED] Using a Network Lease line (Business line) to Resell internet: What equipment will i need?

May 21, 2020
Hi,
So I am not sure if anyone is going to know the answer to this but it is worth a shot
Anyways as stated I am planning on entering a business with someone else and plan on using a business line, or lease line, to resell the internet to other households near me. Now I understand the concept of it however what I am struggling with is the Equipment. What exactly will I need to start up and what models etc will I need?
Many thanks
Matt

Solution
The connection itself tends to be the simple part. I suspect you are going to have to get a fiber connection of some kind to get the bandwidth you need.

The much larger issue is getting public IP addresses. You really want to be able to give them to your customers. You might be able to run with less using NAT but you have now added a level of complexity. It needs some form of server/load balancer to map these sessions to ip. You still are going to need a small pool of public ip.

On top of the technical side you need some form of billing system and some form of logging so when one of your customers does something illegal and you get a demand from law enforcement you can produce data.

Generally the best way to do this is...

USAFRet

Titan
The FIRST thing you need is a contract with whoever supplies this leased line.
Next, how do you plan to connect these households? Coax, fiber, ethernet, WiFi...

There are a zillion other questions that need to be asked and answered long before you get into "What exactly will I need to start up and what models..."

May 21, 2020
The FIRST thing you need is a contract with whoever supplies this leased line.
Next, how do you plan to connect these households? Coax, fiber, ethernet, WiFi...

There are a zillion other questions that need to be asked and answered long before you get into "What exactly will I need to start up and what models..."

Hi
Yes I am in contact with the ISP on getting the agreement however they have said it is not a problem (Just finalising) and I plan to use a WISP system.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi
Yes I am in contact with the ISP on getting the agreement however they have said it is not a problem (Just finalising) and I plan to use a WISP system.
So, wireless.

Over what distance?
How tall a tower are you going to build?
How many subscribers?

Just a few of the many questions...

https://www.wispa.org/what_is_a_wisp.php

The connection itself tends to be the simple part. I suspect you are going to have to get a fiber connection of some kind to get the bandwidth you need.

The much larger issue is getting public IP addresses. You really want to be able to give them to your customers. You might be able to run with less using NAT but you have now added a level of complexity. It needs some form of server/load balancer to map these sessions to ip. You still are going to need a small pool of public ip.

On top of the technical side you need some form of billing system and some form of logging so when one of your customers does something illegal and you get a demand from law enforcement you can produce data.

Generally the best way to do this is to partner with a current WISP provider. These companies many times will provide you some of the technical expertise as long as you provide most the financial stuff to get the project going,

Solution