[SOLVED] Using a PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drive in a PCIe 3.0 Slot?

Dec 4, 2020
Hey folks

I am hoping the above is a relatively stupid question!

I have specified a new Intel i9 system using the Socket 1200 and Z490 chipset which as such does not support the PCIe 4.0 protocol.

In the spirit of a little future proofing should intel catch up, I have opted to acquire a PCIe 4.0 M.2 hard drive card (specifically Seagate).

I fully appreciate that it will not run any faster than PCie3.0 protocol rates, but am I right in thinking that it will operate on that basis?

Thanks again!

James

Solution
D
Yes it will work fine. However it would require a new motherboard that does support it to actually support it
D

Deleted member 14196

Yes it will work fine. However it would require a new motherboard that does support it to actually support it

Reactions: jjcodex75
Solution
Dec 4, 2020
Perfect thanks so much for such a quick response!

Ref the Motherboard, yes I figured as much - to be honest, I suspect it may prove to be a bit of a waste of money.

The only way I think I will see it used at its max speed will be if Intel provide PCie4.0 support on a chipset that still retains the Socket 1200 architecture (who knows!).

I would be prepared in the future to replace the motherboard, but frankly not that and CPU.

My guess is that I will never use it beyond the PCie 3.0 max speed, but take comfort in that it will at least work to that speed!

Thanks again

JJ

Dec 4, 2020
Thanks!

That makes the point very well! As you say - difference is barely noticeable!

I wonder if this is why intel have not spent a great deal of time on it.

Does make you think about some of the claims!

Thanks again! To be fair, I think part of my thinking was that the drive would be working less hard if not at max speed (ie working at PCIe 3.0 speeds) , but this is deeply unscientific thinking!

JJ