Using a pre-built hard drive in a new system.

Aug 31, 2018
I have a very old s5-1010 computer with a pre-built hard drive with windows already installed inside of it, and I want to move the drive into a new system (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PvNdGG). The thing is, I don't know if I can reformat the drive without using another drive that has windows on it, and I'm not sure if the drive is compatible with the motherboard, with it being a SATA 300 drive. Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
If it is SATA it will work with the latest Sata - so don't worry about that.
You can't use the windows on it for the computer - you will need a complete install of windows 10
You can get windows 10 from MS website.
If you boot up with a USB of windows 10, you can then format the drive in the options upon installation.
I am not going to comment on your computer build as I don't know how much money you want to spend - but looks very reasonable.
If it is SATA it will work with the latest Sata - so don't worry about that.
You can't use the windows on it for the computer - you will need a complete install of windows 10
You can get windows 10 from MS website.
If you boot up with a USB of windows 10, you can then format the drive in the options upon installation.
I am not going to comment on your computer build as I don't know how much money you want to spend - but looks very reasonable.

Solution

The B350 motherboard typically requires a bios update to be compatible with 2nd-gen Ryzen. So either go with a B450 motherboard or a Ryzen 3 1200/1300X.

I'd personally go with the slightly cheaper Ryzen 3 1200 and get a better GPU. That's the RX 560 with 896 Stream Processors instead of 1024.

Single sticks of RAM aren't desirable for gaming systems because they can't run in dual-channel. Get 2x4Gb instead. If you're paying $45 for that EVGA 500B, don't. Get a Corsair CX 450 (2017) instead, it's a better quality unit with a 5 year warranty as opposed to the 3 year of the EVGA.