Using a router as a wireless adapter?

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Hey,

About a month ago, I upgrade from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. In the process, I believe the drivers are not fully compatible with either Windows 7 or a 64-bit environment.

In gameplay, mainly FPS, I get random "Connection Interupted" messages and frequent lag spikes. Often times when I am using the internet, I will get periodic slowdowns.

I believe its time I ditch this current wireless adapter in my desktop for something that is compatible.

We currently have our cable modem in the living room, with an Apple Airport Router connected to it. I have been reading and researching a lot of products and see there is often a lot of compatibility issues with 64-bit OS and wireless adapters. That being said, I have a question;

Is there a way for me to use a wireless router as an antenna for my computer? Could I put the wireless router on my desk, plugged into my computer with an ethernet cable, and use the router to pick up the signal from the Apple router in the other room? I ask this because its much easier to find a compatible wireless router, and I imagine the signal strength would be much better, as opposed to a wireless adapter.

If this is possible, I would like to know what would be required to do so, and possibly any router recommendations.

Thanks

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Ok, well after a lot of digging around, I believe I have answered my own question, please correct me if I am wrong.

It seems what I am looking for is a wireless bridge, something that plugs into my computer's ethernet port, and picks up the wireless signal from my wireless router.

I have found a couple seemingly good choices, they are a little pricy, but its well worth removing the frustration associated with wireless connections...

LINKSYS WAP54G Wireless-G 54Mbps Access Point - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124012 ($62.99)

or

BUFFALO WLI-TX4-AG300N Nfiniti Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Converter - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162029 ($79.99)

I think for a little more, it would be worth getting the dual-band N router, I game a lot on my PC, and having a steady, stable internet connection is important.

If this path I have stumbled onto is incorrect, let me know before I drop 80 bucks only to find out this will not work for me.

zaneyard

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I have DD-WRT installed on an access point, can also be installed on any other Linksys router IIRC. It was really easy to configure it to many different wireless modes. I currently use it to bridge my downstairs to my upstairs, but it's really easy to switch it to Adapter mode.
Actually have it installed on that Linksys WAP54G that you have listed.