[SOLVED] Using a secondary Video Card for VR

Jan 10, 2020
Hi there! I have an odd question. I recently got a video card upgrade (MSI R9 390 8G) but it doesn't have the hdmi outputs necessary to operate an oculus rift. My old card (1050ti) ran the oculus very well and had 3 hdmi outputs. The headset required 2.

My question is this: Could I simply have both cards installed but only use the Nvidia card for VR and pretty much nothing else without issues? I'm not looking to "pair" them or anything. Pretty much just use them independently from each other under varying circumstances.

Other info: Win 10 Ryzen 5 2600. Use two monitors regularly. (sometimes 3).
Would there be other application for having multiple video cards like this?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Upgrade? the 390 is from 2016 ...
Then I thought maybe you meant a 590 but checking the 590 sepcs, it has 2 HDMI ports. Checking the 390 specs, it has 1 HDMI port...
So now I'm not sure what you have or if you bought something counterfeit.

But to answer your question, theoretically yes, you can install both but keep in mind that the GPU slot of your motherbd will usually drop to x8 lanes from x16 usually and hinder performance slightly.

popatim

Titan
Upgrade? the 390 is from 2016 ...
Then I thought maybe you meant a 590 but checking the 590 sepcs, it has 2 HDMI ports. Checking the 390 specs, it has 1 HDMI port...
So now I'm not sure what you have or if you bought something counterfeit.

But to answer your question, theoretically yes, you can install both but keep in mind that the GPU slot of your motherbd will usually drop to x8 lanes from x16 usually and hinder performance slightly.

Solution
Jan 10, 2020
Performance wise the 390 is better even though it’s technically older.

How much of a performance hit is the 8 lane thing? I don’t have the biggest and best monitors or anything.

Are there any adaptors that I could possibly use. I have a display port available but I don’t know if that would cooperate with the VR system.