Using a single ethernet line from router to connect to 4 devices in another room.

m4v3r1c8

Reputable
Mar 5, 2018
I'm a renter with a relaxed landlord and we've currently got a router setup in the living room with an integrated switch leading to three different rooms and providing direct access to living room console. I'd like to use the lead from the living room to my room to connect 4 devices to the ethernet. I've got a desktop, a laptop, xbox one, and ps4. The xbox experiences occasional disconnects from the wifi and is my primary device so I currently have the ethernet in just this device. However, the PS4 slim constantly disconnects from the wifi and I'd like to hook it up to the ethernet in a permanent fashion rather than swapping the cable over. If it is at all possible, then I'd like to have all four devices connected to the ethernet at the same time. Through my brief research I found a lot of confusing information and cannot seem to find an answer as to how this can be done. If I can split the ethernet but only connect to it with one device at a time then great! I looked into manual switches that would allow me to direct which devices could access the internet, but only AB switches came up in my search. I'd rather not be playing a game on my PS4, go to look something up on my desktop, and then lose the connection on the PS4.

TL: DR, I need a permanent solution that allows me to swap the ethernet access between at least 2 devices without having to physically move the ethernet cable. I have a connection from a router with an integrated switch in another room and would prefer to avoid losing my connection speed as this important as a gamer. Thank you!

I think that this device /might/ meet my requirements but I'm really unsure due to my experience level in this topic.
https://www.amazon.com/Brash-Networks-Desktop-Ethernet-BN105/dp/B01MU79NFU?th=1

Solution
Your machines will be limited to "only" 1 gigabit total because they share the same cable going back to the router. :)

I doubt there is much issue since your internet connection is likely not even close to 1gbit.

Almost all switches can run all ports at 1gbit up and 1gbit down all at the same time. So a 5 port switch can pass a total of 10gbit of traffic. The switch will never slow your machines down. You should not even be able to detect the switch it should appear as though all the machines are directly plugged into the router.

m4v3r1c8

Reputable
Mar 5, 2018

Could you specify what exactly my linked switch will do when it gives me more ports? Will all 4 devices have access to the internet at the same time through the ethernet cables? Will there be any noticeable declines in speed from a gaming standpoint? If only one or two devices can access the ethernet simultaneously then how can I easily prevent the switch from dropping the connection of my consoles?

Thank you for your time!

Your machines will be limited to "only" 1 gigabit total because they share the same cable going back to the router. :)

I doubt there is much issue since your internet connection is likely not even close to 1gbit.

Almost all switches can run all ports at 1gbit up and 1gbit down all at the same time. So a 5 port switch can pass a total of 10gbit of traffic. The switch will never slow your machines down. You should not even be able to detect the switch it should appear as though all the machines are directly plugged into the router.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS