Question Using a Technicolor cgm4231mdc just for voice?

Feb 13, 2019
Hello friends!

Here's some exposition- I've recently made a frivolous purchase of a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router and a Netgear CM600 (24x8) Docsis 3.0 Cable modem hoping to boost my internet speed for gaming. My current modem is the modem/router technicolor cgm4231mdc. Unfortunately, I completely forgot that you need a phone jack for the telephone, which the technicolor modem has, but the CM600 does not. I'm 18 and I'm living under my father's roof and he's still paying the bill but he refuses to get rid of the phone line despite having a cell phone. I don't want to return the Nighthawk and CM600 if I don't have to so I've been looking into some forums for some help.

Here's my question: Can I purchase a coaxial splitter then call my ISP (Mediacom) and have them make my cgm4231mdc modem used just for the phone line whilst making my CM600 used for the internet? Would I also have to have a cable technician to come down to setup the coaxial splitter or is it a job I could do myself?

Thanks in advance!

Since the phone connection is from the ISP, you should contact them and see what is needed. Generally the router and modem are for internet access and the cable company has their own VOIP setup for the phone service. If you are having issues with internet speed, did you check with the cable company first? If the modem they have for you now is not good enough to handle the access speed you pay for, they can upgrade it.